Difficulty using Cubase 12 on my system

And this is.

I guess the Application Error entries in my Application Event Log that reference Cubase must be fake.

Where did I write that the event log will not contain any entry?

@Kenact to be clear:

As @JuergenP has said, the software developer sets the method for logging.

Furthermore, when Cubase does generate a crash log, a dialog opens on the next launch showing the location of the log and provides a way to open the directory.

Please refrain from posting erroneous info in the forum. This is a place for users of all levels, so it’s important for info here to be correct, so people can focus on music making, or whatever sort of work they use the daw for…

Did I misread that?

Yes. What is the meaning of ‘probably’?

However, this leads to nothing. I’m not going to discuss this any longer.

With all due respect to those arguing with me, the only point I have tried to make is that Windows reports on application crashes, and it is one place to look for information regarding a crash.

I did not say it’s the only place, nor did I suggest anyone ignore other areas where crash information may be stored.

The Application Event Log and Windows Error Reporting folders are legitimate places to look for information regarding the crash of ANY application.

Hi, I got a failure bucket ID: ‘inavlid pointer read’ – is this the same thing?

I’m trying to analyze a recurring Cubase 12 crash that I am seeing.

The message about an invalid pointer is pretty generic in the first place. It needs a lot more information to get an idea what caused this error.

Do you have a crash dump file from such a Cubase crash? Please upload one, that might give some better idea

1 Like

Hi,

I was experiencing crashes at startup since I changed from Nvidia to Radeon (uninstalled drivers first). Yesterday it was so bad that after a few attempts I still couldn’t start Cubase.

Went on Steinberg Download Assistant and chose “install again”. No changes were made to the preferences and everything has been working fine since.

Hey, thanks. Here is the dump file. I noticed that for MODULE_NAME it simply says ‘Cubase 12’.

Cubase 12.0.60.453 64bit 2023.6.9 16.30.00.888.dmp (1.7 MB)

Here’s a tip for Uninstalling graphics drivers on your PC :
If like me , in the past you have swapped out graphics cards and think the old drivers for X card won’t cause any problems with your new different brand (Nav/Rad) then you will be wrong and you will most probably need to do a complete fresh install from Safe Mode in windows to solve , crashes and black screens . I’ve had the issues and know they are a PITA but this tool DDU is a driver uninstalled which runs in safe mode , just tell it what drivers you want removing and it removes all traces .
It’s free and works like a charm , there’s plenty of Youtube channels out there to explain the process if you have any difficulty
How to Totally Uninstall Nvidia, AMD or Intel Graphics Drivers | Tom’s Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Also if your Pc has been updating you may need to run scannow to see if there are any windows files that need repairing

Unfortunately this is one of the crashes that needs access to the source code to understand the reason.

The dump shows the crash directly in Cubase 12, without any hint of any side effects or such. So your best bet here is to contact the Tech Support at Steinberg.

1 Like