Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini + Cubase LE 7 no playback sound

Hi everyone,
I bought Zoom B3 which came with Cubase LE 7 and Sequel LE 3.
I installed both of them, and recorded my bass, everything seems to be working properly,

Because I want to record another instrument (guitar, vocal), I borrowed Mbox 2 Mini as an audio interface from my friend and then installed its ASIO driver.
I followed the instruction on how to start the Cubase, go to VST Connections, it automatically detected the Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini audio driver, I selected the input and output busses, go to Device Setup and also selected the Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini audio driver. I also check the input and output on each audio track. I’m running through external speaker and headphone from the line out of the Mbox.

The problem is, I can record and hear the guitar, and see the signal being recorded, but there’s no sound coming out from the Cubase when I press play. When I turned on the metronome, I can hear the metronome’s click sound, but no audio sound and the output level is not moving. I can hear any sound coming from my PC (winamp, windows sound, etc) but not from the Cubase LE 7. I also disabled unused third party audio driver but still no result.

I also tried installing Cubase LE 7 and Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini audio driver on a Macbook Pro and then going through the same instruction, but everything is just fine. I’d prefer to do some recording on my PC because the PC spec is higher than the Macbook.
I googled for some advice before joining the forum, and I tried solutions given at this forum, but nothing solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I’m using Windows 7 64-bit
AMD FX™-6100-Six-Core Processor 3.30 GHz
4,00 GB RAM

Hello Monodark,

Do you happen to know the Windows supported driver build you’ve installed on the Windows computer?

From looking on Avid’s site, the last Windows released driver for the Mbox 2 Mini was in 2011.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/compressed/Mbox_2_USB_Family_v90265_Drivers_70922.zip

*I should note if this is a pre-Avid hardware unit, like the older blue faced Digi Mbox 2 series, there were several known issues with their drivers not working with other DAW’s besides Pro Tools. I believe the issue wasn’t has prevalent on OSX systems because Avid used their class compliant Core Audio driver which as still been updated to the last release in 2014, which supports Yosemite.

Hi Joel, thank you for replying

I downloaded the driver from this site
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Mbox-2-Mini-Drivers

And yes the latest driver for Windows release is mar 8, 2011, while the latest for Mac release is on oct 10, 2014
the Mbox 2 Mini is no longer manufactured, so maybe there is no more driver updates since 2011.

I post the image of the Mbox here, I think it is a blue faced Mbox you’re talking about, if it is so, then it is a pre-Avid hardware unit.
So I assume you are saying the best way to make it work is by using Protools instead of other DAW softwares, my friend said the Mbox came with Protools 8 LE bundle disc, but since the software already installed on his computer, I cannot install it on mine because the activation code is already used, and to get another activation code is very complicated, that is why I decided to try it with Cubase.

Or maybe I should try it on Mac computer since it has newer driver which is support Mac system.
Last night I try to record guitar on Sonar X3 using Mbox, but there is no MIDI support, so I cannot use the metronome but I can hear the playback audio.

From the information you gave me, I think the problem is on the 4 year old windows driver which is not properly working with newer Cubase or newer DAW softwares.

Sorry for the long reply, and my English, I’m not a native English speaker. :slight_smile:
Thank you, I appreciate it so much. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delayed response. That is the unit I thought it was. It would probably be best to use something else for your sound card on a Windows OS if you plan to use Cubase.