"dimin." as an abbreviation for "diminuendo"

I would like Dorico to support “dimin.” as an abbreviation for “diminuendo”.

Practical Examples.
Beethoven, Piano Sonata No.23, Op.57, 3rd movement, bar 18.

Youtube

Breitkopf und Härtel Edition, IMSLP #728581.

Peters Edition, IMSLP #05549

Henle Edition, IMSLP #621769

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll make a note of it, and perhaps we can introduce an Engraving Option to allow this in a future version.

1 Like

A property for Custom Text for text dynamics would be most useful, giving infinite versatility. (Possibly using hyphens for splitting get-ting lou-der, etc.

3 Likes

This is something you can already do, using the prefix or suffix and using hyphens.

1 Like

But you can’t split them into long syl - - - la - - - bles.

Of course you can. You just can’t get rid of the word “crescendo” (or “diminuendo” or either of their abbreviations)

3 Likes

What I would like (and that is a feature request I made like three or four years ago) is that the hyphens are hyphens, in the middle of the height of the hyphenated word, and not down on the baseline. I still hope this option is considered by the team.
Note that it’s how it’s presented in the list: cres - cen… and not cres _ cen…
I still think the baseline hyphens are ok when it’s a continuation line, like after dim. _ _ (or dimin. _ _ as in the examples in the OP)

Ahh… well I’ll be jiggered!

*jig—ger—ed :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel.
If possible, it would be nice to be able to select “dim.” or “dimin.” in the Properties panel as well. This is because occasionally “dim.” and “dimin.” coexist in one flow.

Example of the second movement of the same sonata(Op.57) by Beethoven. Henle edition.

Though arguably that could be considered a needless inconsistency, which should not be slavishly followed. :grinning:

1 Like

This would be bad news for anyone doing an edition of Beethoven’s piano sonatas in Dorico.

In Finale one first would create an expression “dimin.”, which would then reside for all time in one’s list of expressions, and then assign a key stroke to it, say “d”. Then, anytime one needs a dimin., one keystroke would produce it . How does one insert a dimin. in Dorico at the present time?

One doesn’t. Or at a push, one uses dumb text.

Thanks, pianoleo. I was considering doing my edition in Dorico, but was afraid that I would encounter unsuspected problems of this type, so I stayed with Finale. My instincts were right.

But I never thought that a simple dimin. would be problematic.

Don’t do that. Discretion is the better part of valor, and this is confusing. Pick one or the other.

I also suspect that anyone who knows what “dimin.” stands for also knows what “dim.” means. If not, they are probably… ahem… dim.

1 Like

Come to think of it, it would probably be preferable to construct a dimin. Playing Technique, in case you need it to have a continuation line. Don’t expect it to work like a dynamic, though.

I have to say I agree here. This is a lot of fuss about nothing. Just stick with dim. if preparing new editions. But then I don’t do that sort of thing so there may be reasons which elude me…

Thanks, pianoleo. A playing technique would be a better work-around.

Incidentally, the Henle example from the second movement of Beethoven’s op. 57 shown above that uses a “dim.” is incorrect. Beethoven used dimin. in both cases in his manuscript and it appears that way in the first edition. And he used dimin. quite consistently in all of his many piano sonatas. So current authentic editions use dimin. to preserve the flavor of his notation.

Do they use Beethoven’s handwriting to preserve the “flavor”?

2 Likes

No different from creating a Playing Technique, and giving it a popover shortcut.