direct monitoring with audio interface

Hi Everyone :smiley:

In relation to audio recording,within Cubase and direct monitoring of my voice with my audio interface, what are the benefits of using this?
And although I kind of understand how it works,( low latency etc).But would like to learn more about this,if possible

Only in my previous post,a member,kindly suggested to me to try and use the direct monitoring offered by my audio interface.

As I make videos for my Youtube channel, via my screen capture software,I was getting annoying echo.feedback,through my headphones,putting me off,ha,ha,before I used direct monitoring.

As always help or advice is appreciated :smiley:
Cheers

If you use direct monitoring on your audio interface then the sound coming into the mic will be directly sent to both your headphones and Cubase to record. If you don’t use direct monitoring then mic signal will go through Cubase first before being routed by Cubase to your headphones. Depending on your interface & buffer size this could range from something you don’t notice to a long disorienting slap-back echo. Direct monitoring removes the potential for this echo.

In practice the echo doesn’t bother me at all when recording my own voice since I can hear enough of the direct sound through my head that I don’t hear it as a delayed signal. But if I record electric guitar directly into Cubase (not using an external amp) then the sound I hear is all delayed and that can be disorienting.

Hi Raino :smiley:
Thank you for your advice
Yeah I was getting some doubling of my own voice,via my headphones,while doing some videos for my Youtube channel,previously using another Daw.
Really does put you off to a certain extent.
Embarrassingly,I didn’t fully understand how/or why I should use my direct monitoring switch,on my A.I :blush: But know I am fully aware,of it and what it does :laughing:
Not long been using Cubase, a few weeks now.But still got a lot to learn,and digest.Getting settled into Cubase and how it works.

Cheers
David

Make sure you keep your expectations on learning Cubase realistic. It is a huge program with a lot of depth in what it can do. Even folks like myself who have been using it for ages come across new stuff (or rather new to me) on a regular basis. The best thing to do is to focus on small parts of Cubase and learn it in bite size chunks.

The bad news is one of the most confusing areas of Cubase is how to have it connect to and use your audio hardware. And this is the one thing you have to setup correctly before you can do anything else. And to make matters worse, everyone’s rigs and hence their configurations are different - so there is no “standard” way to set this up.

But once you can record and playback audio the learning curve gets easier.

Thank you ,good advice
I have a Groove 3 pass,and started to study one of its Cubase courses.Of course it will take time
I’m in no rush as music production is a hobby for me.

Good choice. They have a wealth of info on a variety topics.

And while videos in the wild on the internet can be useful & great, you also run into stuff that is 100% wrong. On Groove3 that won’t happen.

I agree with you Ranio,
I have subbed to Cubase on Youtube,the tutorials are great,.Greg Ondo is a guru of all things Cubase :smiley:

Very true. Although that is his job.

much better job than my retail one,I currently have,heh,heh :smiley: