Direct offline processing and modify event size

Hi, I’m still on Cubase 11.0.41 (already own cubase 12). It’s the very first time I’m actually trying the direct offline processing, so while I’m very experienced with Cubase, I hope I’m not doing anything wrong. Here is what I experience:

I wanted to reduce hiss on the tail of an audio event. So I split the event into two events (let’s call them EV1 and EV2, where EV2 is “to the right” of EV1), and selected direct offline processing on EV2. I applied a simple LPF (using voxengo CurveEQ). That worked nice. Now I wanted to extend the effect of EV2, so I actually extended the actual EV2 event boundary to the left (while shrinking EV1 accordingly) from the project editor. Interestingly, the offline effect of EV2 did not expand automatically and was still applied on the “right part” of EV2 (i.e., the original part of EV2 on which I performed the offline processing). OK, I told myself, it’s not that flexible, let’s click “discard” and “apply” again (on the expanded EV2). This did not change anything. Deleting the plugin from the direct offline processing and re-adding it did the trick.

Sounds like a bug to me (??)

Hi,

Where exactly do you find the bug, please?

The process has been applied to the selected range of the file only (the range which you selected by the Audio Event “window”). Therefore if you extended the Audio Event boundaries, the process has not been applied to the extended part. So you have to remove the process and apply it to the new range.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the super-quick response! I kind of discovered what you wrote by myself - i.e., that the process was applied on the original selected range. The “unexpected behavior” from my side could actually be divided into two “levels”:

(Level 1) I applied the direct offline processing. Went out of the offline processing window. Went back to the project editor and expanded the audio event. Then I re-invoked the direct-offline-processing window. By definition what I’m supposed to see there are processes that are now applied on the entire event. Instead, they are applied on what used to be the event the first time I applied. **I believe this creates a huge dissonance / usability issue as I’m as a user have no clue, and the entire purpose of the fact these processes are still associated with the event are to ensure it is a “per event” thing that still applies. Furthermore, discarding and applying again does not affect the entire event. I cannot see a situation where this could be considered as a non bug.

“Level 1” above for me is a 100% bug or a severe usability issue.

(Level 2) The fact that expanding the event in the project editor does not re-apply and extend the effect applied is not what I would expect.

We can certainly argue whether “Level 2” above is or is not an expected/desired behavior. I humbly believe it creates a dissonance and in fact expanding the effect would enhance the workflow.

You could view “Level 2” as an enhancement request. “Level 1” seems like a meaningful bug to me.

Thanks!
Erez

Maybe your expectations are wrong?
If always the DOP would be expanded to resized events, it makes no sense to apply any process to a selection. It would change afterwards without any intention of the user if you fine-tune your cuts and fades. Very bad.

So, to apply the processing only to what is selected is exactly how it should be.

I completely agree with your concern regarding “Level 2” - doing it completely transparently would create a different issue all together. I can think of few UI ways to benefit from that expansion without creating those issues.

However, my main issue is with what I called “Level 1” - would you agree that’s a bug?

There is no Level 1 issue or bug. After closing the DOP window, no changes have to apply to the edited events or selections.

Wait, if I re-open the DOP window, and re-apply the effect, would you still expect it to happen only on a subset of what is now the event?? That’s the main bug IMHO. Just to emphasize - I re-open the DOP window (after expanding the event), then discard the previous processing and then re-apply the effect, and the effect works only on a subset of the event that is in front of my eyes…

Yes. You applied it only to the selection. Always.
Otherwise, it would change all the time without your intention.

Hi,

Imagine the Audio Event as a currently selected range of the Audio file. The Process has been applied to this range only (anytime, you trigger it). The very same way, you can use the Range tool, select the range and apply the process to the selected range only.

It would be really helpful for the user if Cubase gave any visual indication which range is affected by a DOP. If I remember correctly, you could see it in C9 and earlier, before the DOP got reworked, you could select the process in the list and Cubase would autoselect the range in the sample editor. Sadly, this is not the case anymore.

1 Like

Hi,

You remember correctly.

It still does this, but only when an offline process is bypassed or re-enabled. I’m not sure if it’s an oversight or if there’s some kind of limitation preventing the range from being selected when you click a process in the list.

How I see the DOP function, this behaviour is what I would expect. For the situation that @eweb has, I would suggest making a range selection, not splitting the events. /Petter

I agree with you. I see it as a bug.
The easiest way to solve this is to cut and paste the effects in DOP after re-adjusting the size of the event.

It’s a bit of an oversight imo… if you work on something with a big strip of plugins, then want to expand your audio and apply that same processing, it becomes a nightmare.
There is no way to undo and reapply to the new section of audio…
bypassing on and off only toggles between the original and the wet (of the original length of audio).
so you would have to delete all the plugins and redo everything finding all the presets again etc.
or save it to one of the bank favourites, delete all, and reapply…

but to be honest, there are so many bugs in the DOP that it’s almost unusable.
a reverse reverb trick ends up with a total mess of audio that makes no sense.

if you try to apply effects like reverb to an audio sample, then change the length, then delete or bypass any of those plugins, the audio in your arrange window just magically disappears…

The list of bugs with DOP goes on and on and it’s been countless years without fixes.
It’s a shame because its one of the greatest creations that other daw’s don’t have, yet they haven’t given it the time to actually make sure its functioning as expected.