Direct Offline Processing - reason to use?

Hi,

I’ve watched a few vids to learn about DOP, but I’m still wondering *why one would choose to use it.

I’ve heard the vid folks say it can cut down on CPU usage, so I can see where that could be helpful.

What are other common use cases?

Thank you!

An undo history that’s local to the event, rather than global. Of course you get the same benefit using automation, but compared to for example Pro Tools’ “Audiosuite” this is a benefit.

Being able to add processing or plugins on individual parts on the same track can really come in handy.

Thanks @MattiasNYC , and @mlib , very helpful answers :slight_smile:

From an administrative/ house keeping point of view, is it hard to keep track of which clips have DOP applied? Do you reserve one color for DOP clips?

I can’t really say I keep track. Never felt a need to.

1 Like

can do it with automation too right?

How would one use automation

To replace using DOP to open a plug-in and applying something like reverb, distortion, etc. to the clip?

just add the plugin to Inserts chain, disable it and with automation enable it wherever you want.
if it is a vst3 it wont consume resources while disabled.

I don’t. As a reminder I’m using Nuendo and do audio-to-picture. But anyway, I just don’t see a need. If something doesn’t sound the way I want it to I’ll typically remember what I did to it or just open the DOP window to see what’s going on, if anything.

Typically I use DOP on dialog mainly for cleanup (iZotope), pitch shifting and so on. EQ, reverb from sends, compression etc. is all on inserts.