Disabled midi tracks lose midi send output routing

Can confirm that this issue (CAN-19863 / CAN-18936) is fixed with maintenance updates 9.5.50 and 10.0.15. The notes say:

An issue has been resolved where MIDI send routings
were set back to “Not connected” for disabled MIDI tracks
after saving and reloading a project. (However, for already
affected projects, you need to set the connection again.)

It isn’t entirely clear what ‘setting the connection again’ means… I’ve asked support to clarify this and also posted here Cubase 9.5.50 / CAN-19863 query - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Seems pretty clear to me… Going forward the issue is resolved but, if your project was already affected by the bug you will have to have to manually reset the lost connections.

Regards :sunglasses:

I still experience a very similar problem in Cubase Pro 11.0.30 Build 419:

1. Create a VST instrument track.
  2. Right click on the VST instrument track and choose Add Track->MIDI. A new midi track will be created with output set to the VST instrument track. I use such midi tracks to store key switches on them separately from the midi data on VST instrument tracks - easier to edit, copy, etc.
  3. Disable the VST instrument track (let’s assume I’ve decided to convert my VST and midi tracks into audio by using Render In Place and then disable them to reduce project loading times and for other reasons). The MIDI track will lose midi send output routing
  4. Enable the VST instrument track (let’s assume I’ve decided to change some notes and re-render again after that). The MIDI track will still have invalid midi send output routing

This is very annoying and error prone. For instance, I may want to create a template with all VST instruments predefined, but I don’t want all of them to be enabled at once because it will take infinity to load a project created based on the template. I want to disable all the instruments in the template and then enable them one by one while working on the project. And with this annoying bug, I have to do the following to enable a VST track:

1. Enable the VST instrument track.
  2. Right click on the VST instrument track and choose Add Track->MIDI. A new midi track will be created with output set to the VST instrument track.
  3. Select all the events from the previous midi track (which is invalid).
  4. Move all the events from that midi track to my newly created track.
  5. Set the name and colour for the new midi track.
  6. Remove the old invalid midi track.
    Too much hassle instead of just enabling the track I need. Another option is to reset MIDI output manually, but I have so many midi inputs - I am afraid of making a mistake. Adding a new track is more secure.
    If I forget to do these steps, my key switches will not operate and I may miss it when I work with tons of tracks.
    I would be grateful if you could fix this bug. Thank you!