Disabling MIDI chase for certain tracks?

Hey guys, hope you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

I noticed a cool little feature in Logic Pro X and was curious if Cubase could do it too. In Logic, it’s actually possible to disable MIDI chase for certain tracks. This is especially useful for drum / percussion tracks where a bunch of one-shot drum sounds may trigger when hitting Play and be rather distracting.

Any ideas?
Fotis

1 Like

what do you mean by “MIDI chase”? Can you describe what do you mean more clear to a not Logic user? Cuz honestly I didn’t get what you were saying. Are you talking about sample tracks or midi tracks and why drum\percussion tracks might be destructing?

Here’s a description of Logic X’s MIDI chase functionality: Logic Pro X: Use the Chase Events function.
Here’s a search of Cubase’s manual for chase in version 9.5(not very different from 10): 4 document(s) found for Chase
Based on what’s in the manual, it does not look like this is possible. The feature is either on or off for all parts.
I’m not sure I see the benefit of a filter. Maybe the original poster can describe what is improved.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Ultimately, I’m looking to exclude certain tracks from chasing MIDI events (especially MIDI notes). The reason is that MIDI chase of notes is mostly useful for pads and string instruments but much less useful for plucks and percussion. Currently, if I hit play somewhere within a beat, a bunch of drum sounds trigger suddenly due to MIDI chase in addition to pads, and atmospheric sounds.

Currently, it does seem that Cubase has only a Global On/Off option.

As per the Logic manual link above under “Avoid triggering sampler drum loops when chasing note events”, you can see that Logic allows you to avoid MIDI chase on particular tracks. The manual specifically mentions drum loops as this is a good example of a type of track where chase is not useful.

Thanks for explaining. Per-track-MIDI-chase seems like a good feature request. Seems it would be especially helpful for those that do not compose in phrases or loops.

+1

Just ran into this. Global Chase enable/disable is only so useful, in fairly basic projects. But if you are for example, doing overdubs with an External Synth, and you’re using variations of CC events on different tracks… the chase on one track will affect the synth despite you wanting to work on a different track.

Hard to explain, but it results sometimes in unwanted CC changes if you’re not careful in muting events else where in the project you don’t want to be chased.