Discount For Upgrade Incompetence?

you just think things like this will not happen to this magnitude
at this point
you would think they get this part right by now
but I guess lightning does strike twice in the same spot

Just for clarification- did the failed upgrade affect the USB licensor? So even on another computer, if you transferred the dongle - it wouldn’t run?

even on another computer it fails

Wow. That’s a nightmare No wonder users are upset. If I ran Steinberg, I would give a gift voucher to anyone who suffered; and a full refund if someone wanted it. What’s radical about that? This is not a glitch - it’s a complete stuffup.

sure, it’s a nightmare. the ceo even had to make a statement. but again, the license only “disappeared” when people who had already seen the process fail proceeded to spam the activation system with requests. this all but guarantees that the servers remain overloaded and that the process of surrendering your license to 10.5 in order to receive the 11 license will be interrupted. if you look at the plethora of posts surrounding this topic, you will find folks suggesting just that - spam the process until it goes through. even some of those who “lost their licenses” ended up posting a few hours later saying that others should just spam the recover function. this is insanity - sure it sucks to be told to be patient after steinberg readily slurps up your money without hesitation, but i do not understand or honestly believe anyone would take the risk to update when working on a paid project.

Discount? How they going to do that when you can buy from a number of retailers, and this issue affected a lot of people who were exploiting the days grace scheme?

If there was a cheap sound pack or Halion expansion, maybe that’s an option if they know for sure who was affected and can add it to their accounts maybe.

But in all honesty, it’s not like people have gone a long duration to be truly wanting compensation. We live in such a blame culture now, it’s so sad how desperate people are for freebies - no morality, just desire for material gains.

Again, the same old story:

People defend the economic system that reliably leads to outcomes like this by saying “LOloolololOLOlol why did you upgrade on day 1 as a professional user?? You should know better . This is what you get!”

Meanwhile WHY are unfinished, untested products consistently shipped to market, leading to anger and arguing, under this economic system? Answer: many can’t AFFORD to wait until enough testing has been done, and/or their investors will abandon them for a more timely profit stream, so they sell unfinished, defective, and sometimes fraudulent products just to stay ahead and keep their lights on.

Why do we all defend the system that does this to everything it touches? Shouldnt we, you know, find a more reliable system? Food for thought.

With reverse logic, You’ve answered your own question. Or arguing against yourself! …i can’t quite decide. :slight_smile:

People saying to wait and judge products by their merits instead of diving in are not ‘defending’ the economic system at all, it’s quite the opposite. The message being made is to proceed with caution and sense and to not just jump on something cause it’s new.

The reason why companies get away with making money selling ‘unfinished’ products is due to people jumping in blind. Maybe drop the conspiracy nonsense and just think it through, logically.

It’s just simple supply and demand strategy for a company who’s chief aim is to make money and ensure their staff get paid. Beneath those basic fundamentals come the passion to drive new features.

Public Beta Testing

Just a quick reminder to anyone new to the world of DAW software. If you try to start using a new version of Cubase (or almost any DAW for that matter) in the first two or three weeks after release you are likely to become a “Public Beta Tester”. This is an unpaid position and can be very time consuming.

However, this is not always a bad thing. If you have the time and want to contribute to the Cubase community that is admirable. However, if you need to have the most reliable system possible it is probably best to avoid relying on the latest release until it is a few weeks old. Sometimes they work great from the start and sometimes they are a bit underdone.

Thanks to all you Beta testers, Public or otherwise.

Ricardo79

I totally understand why people are complaining this time. In all past version you can carry on and use the older version so there is no risk and you try out the new version in parallel while working with the old. I would guess most people upgrading thought this time that they were not taking a risk as it would be the same. To then find out that it has killed your licence so even the old version doesn’t work is really a huge problem and one so many seem to be playing down. Thankfully I am waiting a few days. I’m a Cubase user since the beginning and I’ve never seen an upgrade that would render the old version unusable so it’s really unfair to ridicule someone for upgrading and then not being able to work. These IT failures are getting more and more common these days.

In this world of entitlement - you are in fact entitled to zero - as long as this gets sorted fairly swiftly. As someone said early, sh1t happens!

It seems as a key learning, in future, Steinberg need to restrict the number of eLicenser license downloads that can happen at any one time - maybe have some kind of queuing system so something like this doesn’t happen again?

Owing to the pandemic there are more people working from home forever my guess is things are less staggered than they would be under “normal” circumstances and Steinberg literally didn’t prepare for that

No queueing necessary just another Zx Spectrum server :smiley:

A classic case of editing my post whilst you were posting yours Modularnutter! :slight_smile:

The Speccy - now that takes me back to the days when I was a kid - typing out listings in BASIC, forgetting to save (yes, to cassette which was hit and miss!) and running the program only for the whole thing to reset because of a dodgy or missing line of code!

That was a proper OMG!

Reverse logic? That would be illogical, so why would I “reverse” the logic that says “a reliable, sustainable economic system would not rush unfinished products to market and then attempt to transfer the onus of dealing with those unfinished products to the customers.”

People dont realize or consider that they are defending the economic system that leads to this everywhere it touches, which is why I mention it when it is obviously relevant. We just take up mantras such as “shouldnt update software in the middle of production”, or “let other people buy the new first, and then once I see its ok, Ill buy it.”

I understand economics very well, thanks, including supply/demand under capitalist modes, yes. You’ve not convinced me of the validity of the system, but merely explained the reality of it. Yes - their chief aim is to make money. I very much grok that, and include that in my critique.

Because you wrote:-
"People defend the economic system that reliably leads to outcomes like this by saying “why did you upgrade on day 1 as a professional user?? You should know better”

Such statements are NOT defending the economic system retrospectively, they are pro-actively informing the user to not buy blind on day 1.

Until people stop buying products without first validating their suitability for use, then a demand will exist to be exploited. It’s so very simple, i fail to see what there is to disagree on?

Push aside the conspiracy that you’ve build up… This IS just simple supply and demand, whereby Steinberg will make money based on the buying habits of their customers. Consider also, that maybe many customers do want ‘unfinished’ products and enjoy the journey of being a part of the continuous improvement process and excitement of new ideas that haven’t fully matured yet.

I agree, this was a significant problem, possibly one of the worst I’ve seen since my first DAW on the Atari ST. Your statement that you are waiting indicates that you support the idea of avoiding the early Public Beta test phase. With regard to the failures getting worse; I hope this isn’t the case, but this may mean that my update cycle may eventually move to January. or February. Personalty I am still finding Cubase to be reliable for my studio and every year it gets better and better.

Ricard079

Huh? You’ve lost me, friend. I don’t think we’ve communicated. Sorry.

Yet another comedy post, Hiloorious. Oh, it actually serious, Even more Hiloorious.