Display different dynamics in score and parts

Hi everyone,

I am typesetting a piece with the dynamic indication “p < f > p” on every single note. I would like to keep it like this in the parts, but in the score I would like to notate it only once for each instrument, and then just write “sim.”. This would save a lot of vertical space. Is this possible in Dorico?

thank you!
Lodewijk

do you absolutely have to write the pp on every note?
honestly, that seems like overkill, but then, if you have a contractual obligation to reproduce notation (even when it is questionable) I understand.

By the way, instead of “sim.” I’d suggest using “sempre”.

Hello Michel,

thank you for your answer. It turned out my text didn’t display the way I wrote. I used < and > for crescendo and diminuendo, but this just made the “f” in the middle disappear. Adding some space now made it clear.

This leaves me with the same question; is there a way in Dorico to show this repeating dynamic gesture in the instrumental parts, but not have it in the full score?

1 Like

ah, ok, now I understand better… but you know what? my answer would probably remain the same, but with a minor correction: in both score and parts “sim.”

I don’t really think that it’s absolutely necessary to repeat this type of information, when simply saying “sempre” or “sim.” will get the point across without cluttering up the score.

How often does the swell happen? This is also a consideration. If it’s 3-5 times, then it’s well worth repeating in both score and parts, but if it’s dozens of times then you’re far better off using a text indication that the musical gesture is repeated.
It really depends on the actual context.

However (it just dawned on me while I was doing the dishes), there might be a tedious work-around you might use? If you use “local properties”, you should be able to hide items in either the part or score without affecting the other, no?
Like using local properties on the score to hide an item, should not affect how it appears in the part.

I have to say I’m generally against this type of thing (probably why I’ve been mildly combative and looking for ways for you to avoid doing this :wink: ), where there are differences between score and parts. it’s actually quite important for the conductor to have the same information as the musicians (minus detailed instructions that do not affect overall performance, for example string assignments).

Thank you, that makes sense. It’s exactly the same gesture, 3 beats crescendo and 3 beats diminuendo, in every orchestra part it happens indeed dozens of times. But it constantly varies where in the measure this six beat ebb and flow falls. So there is something to it to seeing it written out, less ‘calculating’ where the forte will be for every note. The conductor however does not need see this on every note. The idea is clear after stating it once, and since all these waves overlap it is not necessary to show it in conducting. That’s why I thought it might be good to put the sim. in the score, and have everything written out in the parts.

1 Like

while you were typing, I edited my comment, you might go back and look at the bottom two paragraphs.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, hiding locally is what I was looking for! I agree the conductor should have all the information the players have. But since it’s the exact same gesture repeating I don’t think I would be holding back information, if I show it at least once in the score :slight_smile:

AFAIK you cannot hide dynamics using local properties.
Also I think it is a bad idea, for all the reasons that Michel mentions.
Though, I would question the need to specify the piano and forte each time, unless you have swells that must peak at different levels. Even so, it is quite common to have a series of swells within the context of an overarching crescendo or diminuendo - the absolute levels are left to the conductor. So…

On the contrary, I think the conductor would like to see the interrelationship between swells, so they can shape the overall picture.

1 Like

there is an option for hiding the intensity marking, but I can’t find one for the hairpins.
using local properties does hide in score and show in part (or vice versa) for the actual dynamic.

however, as I said, the hairpins themselves cannot be hidden, unless I’m missing an option somewhere.

I believe this is just to aid playback, so the hairpins will reflect the correct dynamic variation without it having to be specified in the score (or part).

most likely, yes.
I am also of the school where parts and score must be identical, so on that we agree.

2 Likes

You can switch to Local, and change the Color/Alpha channel to 0, making it completely transparent. The hairpin will still affect spacing though and you’ll need to Export in color to make that property active. Gif below:

hairpin

1 Like

Gentlemen, you’ve convinced me. I will also show all the dynamics in the score to make it the same as in the parts. Thank you for all the other info, learned something more about Dorico’s capabilities again!

Have a good day,
Lodewijk

1 Like