Distortion in CD burning

When I burn a CD by the audio-montage workspace, the CD gives distortion, sharp tones, too loud etc.

1. The playback does NOT go through the master section
  2. I always take care as extra to bypass the mastersection

I do this workflow because I render my seperate files by the master section with my plugins before adding them in the audio montage (I do that in the audio file editing workspace), so the audio montage only has to burn it to CD (put the ISRC codes in it, check the cd conformity and run the cd wizard).

I have the strong feeling that however in the burning process Wavelab 7 renders the files again through the master section and plugins. And that gives the distortions, sharp tones etc on the burned CD.

I tried it by using the DDP method first before burning, and that works fine, but it is more work, and why else is that option there to burn a CD by the audio montage?
Another thing I did is burning the CD by the audio file workspace and basic audio CD (this is how it worked in Wave lab 6 and before!) and that works fine too, but in that option you cannot correct volumes for seperate files, as you can in the audio montages. The same with checking conformity, ISRC codes, CD text etc.

So, all I want to do is burning a CD by the audio montage, without the influences of the (disabled) mastersection!

Who can give me advice?
I work with the latetst version Wavelab 7.2.1. built 600, 32 bit Windows XP sp3. I know they officially donot support XP, but it always works fine to me.

Best regards,
Dick Kloosterman

AFAIK, burning a CD from the montage always takes the master section into account. In your workflow, it also should, since you are changing volumes on clips. That means you need dithering to go back to 16 bit audio - internal processing takes place at 32 bit float.

What about that?..
2012-06-15_21-38-57.png

Yes Philippe, that is the disabling I mean, so my question remains: how can I burn a CD from the audiomontage with the mastersection disabled and so without the plugins in the mastersection being used again during burning? This is what happens now. It should not be possible!

And to Arjan, I do dithering to 16 bit/44 KHz in the audio editing windows on files (which are before 96 KHz/32 bit floating) after editing and using the plugins. after rendering and dithering to 16/44 I save them as 16 bit/44 KHz and those are my masters which I load in the audio montage window. So no dithering after that any more, and certainly not in the montage window.

Didap

You should use the master section in order to do the correct dithering (you should understand the function of dithering before trying to skip it - it is not optional), and disable the plugins if you need to.

Paul

Hi,

If you already have processed your final audio files and like to Montage then
simply unload any plugins in Master Section except dither
if doing any fade in/out, crossfade or making volume envelope/clip editing
and dither is the very final step before burning Audio CD or making DDP.

regards S-EH

[quote=“S-EH”]Hi,

“If you already have processed your final audio files and like to Montage then
simply unload any plugins in Master Section except dither
if doing any fade in/out, crossfade or making volume envelope/clip editing
and dither is the very final step before burning Audio CD or making DDP.”

S-EH, do you mean I do not dither in de audio editing workspace when I work to 16 bit/44 KHz, but after that in de audio montage and master section before burning CD? And do I really have to load and unload my plugins in the master section each time when I switch between the two workspaces (editing and montage)?

S-EH, do you mean I do not dither in de audio editing workspace when I work to 16 bit/44 KHz

Yes, I suggest to dither only once to the final media
and No keep the high resolution as long as possible

If you do any envelope or volume change in the Montage then use dither
simply as Arjan is pointing out WL’s internal processing is 32-bit float

I mean or would keep the high resolution even in the Montage
and render or burn/making DDP down to 16 bit with plugins and dither

or make your processing with plugins to separated audio files
and keep high resolution, import to new Montage and use dither
to final media

use the bypass funktion in the CD/DDP burning dialog
to bypass the Master Section

regards S-EH