Distortion Oversampling of Cubase Plugs?

Does anybody know what the oversampling of the stock Cubase Distortion plugs are?

Thank you

I don’t know and I really wouldn’t care if did? Why would that information be important for you?

It’s important in the digital domain. Particularly for any harmonic generating plugins like distortion or saturation plugins. So I would also like to know. Here’s a great video by the FabFilter people about it: Samplerates: the higher the better, right? - YouTube

It’s extremely important. One of the only places it really matters. It’s to do with upper harmonics of the distortion been folded back due to the cut off being too low… and other not so nice stuff!

If this so very extremely important to you? Why haven’t you already take this up with Steinberg instead of asking us ‘external people that are not affiliated in any way to Steinberg’ for such information? We didn’t write the code. The programmers hired by Steinberg did! So maybe send them an email?

Maybe someone else here can give you the answer? I can’t.

Oh yes! that video is awesome. I especially like how he made the alias folded back tones dance, much later in the video. I’ve seen a lot already demonstrated about the reflected back harmonics but that little trick he did was a special moment. Loved it!

Now I need to see this! :slight_smile:

Oh wait…I’ve seen this already! It’s about the ever ongoing discussion of using 44.1, 88.2, 96.192 khz etc…? What to use for recording, what to use to mix, and what to use to bounce? When to dither or not to dither…

Sorry if that seems ‘extremely’ important to you guys. But I deal with ‘sound’ as it comes to my ears and not with this ‘theoretical bogus’! I do my mixes using studio speakers, home speakers, computer speakers, headphones, ear buts, car speakers and kitchen radios. If it sounds good on all of those I don’t need to know what the internal oversampling of some plugin is?

I really understand it may be extremely important for you guys that don’t really make music but just try to theoretically capture sound like in "SpectraLayers’?

But if you do make music and somehow got tangled up into this theoretically maze of digital bogus? I seriously just have one word of advise to you: Listen!!

Listen with your ears! Can you really make out the difference in a mix and tell if it was mixed as 24, 48, 96 or 196 resolution? At the end of the day the only thing that matters is how the mix sounds for you, the client and the rest of the world!

No 44, 88, 96, 192, 384 internal oversamplerate with correct oversampling or dithering will guarantee your mix will sound right!
I’ve done mixes from 44, 88, 96, 192 back to cd (44) that sound absolutely amazing.

The only thing you need to make it right is your skills and your ears!

So forget about that ‘oversampling’ bulls?it! And start using your skills and your ears!!

In general as children we can hear 20-22000 hz at the most! As a 60 year old it’s hardly 20-11100 hz.

So why are you babbling about oversampling rates up to 384 khz?

Forget about it and go make music and/or help your clients!

Anyway!

Does anybody know what the oversampling of the stock Cubase Distortion plugs are?

Thank you

For you I hope someone does? But I doubt someone here does because it’s actually totally not relevant to making music?’ It’s like asking a carpenter how his nails are produced?

Like I suggested earlier. Contact Steinberg for this. They should be able to provide you with this information.

I’m not sure why you want to dismiss this discussion from the forum. All questions on the forum may be best answered by a steinberg employee but that wouldn’t be practical and it also wouldn’t help others in the future who could find out by reading the forum. The forum is moderated by steinberg employees and support people so sometimes we are asking an open question like this to those people. Perhaps Fabio may know the answer?

As regards sampling rate wars - why oversampling and sample rates are important is in a nutshell how well a plug-in can process your audio without introducing unwanted artifacts as a side effect of the process.

As an amendment I did ask FabFilter support what the decapitator was doing in terms of oversampling as every time I use it I see garbage being generated in the subsonic that I need to filter. No reply from them

I only have ProQ3 from them.

I’m just about to test the Cubase Distortion plug ins, see what gets folded back.

I’ve just done HQ mode for the distortion in Spire VST… the difference is HUGE! it’s ugly and horrible off. Checking the spectrum analyser and yeap! all the nasty harmonics that shouldn’t be there. Turn HQ on and nice clean distortion (which seems a strange thing to say).

Fab filter Saturn 2 is incredible and has oversampling

A little bit expensive too but I am considering buying it.

I wonder if there exists a vst plugin that could up/down sample.
Say you are recording in 48k and:
Insert1 Up-sample to 96k
Insert2 Distortion
Insert3 Down-sample

Ohh, that would not work, as communication between inserts would probably still only be 48k.

So a plugin like Bluecat Patchwork that can host other plugins would be required (if it allowed manipulating the sample rate between slots).
I don’t know any plugin that does that, but it would be a great tool.
Imagine the hours of testing we could do :slight_smile:

It exist. Metaplugin - DDMF Supreme Audio Software
They also a have Plugindoctor - DDMF Supreme Audio Software.
But I dont think they will work on Steinbergs built-in plugins.

Yes internal plugins would not work, no way to load them. But still interesting, also the pricing is very reasonable.
Thanks for the link.

Nice to know it exists but I’d much prefer to stick with the plugin with the HQ/Oversampling options.

I did check the manual and it doesn’t give a value. I’m guessing it’s only 2x, possibly 4x from my testing. I’ve tried a few plugins now with high oversampling options such as “make me scream” (simply because it was only a few £’s). When pushed to extremes the difference is quite substantial. I’m now able to get hard distortions that I like the sound of.