Dividing groove agent 4's patterns into separate midi tracks

Hello,

Is it possible to divide groove agent 4’s patterns into separate midi tracks automatically?

For example I am loading “break down” from acoustic agent studio kit and using MAIN 1 from pattern. It plays all kicks snares hihats etc at the same time. And I want to divide them into different midi channels in order to give them different plugins etc. How can I do that?

I use Groove Agent SE4, but I’m pretty sure that the full Groove Agent operates the same way.

You have to assign the Instrument Pads to either or both the Agent’s Buses and the Audio Outs (which need to be enabled)

Now, create separate MIDI Tracks for the parts of the kit you want isolated. Kick, Snare, Hats, Toms, Overheads, Room (depending on what kind of Kit you are working with). Save your kit for the next time you need that routing.

It will take some time to program this, but save the Groove Agent as a Kit and you might want to save the whole project as a Template for future projects.

Good luck.

Thanks the explanation Stephen. I’ll give this a try.

Assuming you’re using Cubase, an alternative is to drag from the pattern pad in GA4 onto your project; this creates a MIDI track and part. Select the part and from the MIDI menu in Cubase, select Dissolve Part. This will result in as many MIDI tracks being created as there are MIDI notes in the part, in this case each MIDI drum event will be on a seperate MIDI track. The outputs of these tracks are automatically routed to GA, but you can change them to anything you want. To have a different effect on each track, you can render each one to audio and go from there.

+1 to Using the method described here, as well,

For the Original Poster – Groove Agent (all versions) is a highly complex instrument and the routing it provides can be daunting at first. Give yourself time to build your kits with the routing, colors, effects and automation assignments. Take a session and just work up a really interesting kit with samples and a Mix – start with the pre-made kits or start with a blank slate.

The Dissolve (by pitch) method is great, but you’ll have to get used to dealing with as many midi tracks as you have different pitches – each individual pitch becomes a new MIDI track – very powerful, but dealing with all the tracks can be a bit daunting.

Groove Agent might be my favorite Steinberg Instrument of all those I got with the Pro 8 package. Enjoy it, it really delivers some amazing sounds and there’s so much it can do. Take human bites :slight_smile: :laughing:

Thanks for your answers and comments MySoundman & Stephen57. You helped me a lot :slight_smile: