Divisi in Dorico 4 using VSL Synchronized Special Edition

Hi there,

I’m doing some divisi strings tests using the playback template of VSL Synchronized Special Edition.

I created a short line of music for violins, starting in unisson, then spliting into divisi.

Having all of the Special Editions, I choose as a playback template Special Editions vol. 1-7.

This should lead Dorico to pick, among the different strings library, the Dimension Strings one, in which you can decide, by a key swith, to hear 8, or 4 (there are two groups of 4), or 2 players (there are 4 groups of 2).

I wish by default Dorico would bring up the Dimension violin with 8 player. That would suit perfectly the unisson moments.

Unfortunately it chooses to have only 4 (first group).

When I turn the irv button it creates a second vst with Dimension Strings and assigns it to the other 4 players (the second group).

Which leads to this: when in unisson I have 4 players, when in divisi mode I have 8.

When it should be: 8 players in unisson, and in divisi 4 players playing a line, 4 other players playing another line.

Did I miss something, or is it a limitation?

In a perfect world, Dorico should create three instruments per track when it comes to unisson…

A bit annoying too: when a VSL Synchron library loads, it’s with Velocity XF turned off, making all the progressive dynamics impossible… you have to turn it on instrument by instrument… Or, again, did I miss something?

Thanks,

Best,

B.

PS: still, I think Dorico is a wonderful software, just like VSL Products…

It’s not Dorico directly that is responsible for the choice of patch, because that decision is made by the playback template. I guess you’re using the playback template provided by the good people at VSL? It might be worth asking on their forum if they can explain the rationale for the default patch choice they have made.

Thanks Daniel for the prompt answer. I did leave the same post on their forum, waiting for their answer. And congratulations for your work, Dorico is fantastic. Best, B.

You can set vel XF automatically using expression maps.
Edit a VSL expression map
Just add a CC28 with the 127 value in the init switch
Do it for all your VSL expresssion maps.

Oh thanks for the tip! Best. B.

Your first point is certainly correct, @BenjaminParis , if you decide you want to use the Dimension strings, then you choose Special Edition volume 1-7. Having just had a look at this for the first time in months, I’m most surprised that the default is still velocityXF off as I thought they’d changed it after so many complaints on the VSL forum. As they haven’t, you do indeed have the two choices already listed for enabling it which, imo, you most certainly should do for most types of music.

On the point of VSL deciding not to implement divisi the way you want --which is a perfectly reasonable idea – the answer is simply to write your own Expression Map which gives you full control of exactly which divisi you use when. VSL have not bothered to do this and are no obligation to. As Daniel has said, it’s certainly not the responsibility of Dorico either. I have done and if you like, you can have a look at my maps and use them as a starting point for creating exactly what you want. My EM also includes some NoteLength automation.

VSL SE Dimension strings EM’s.zip (9.2 KB)

Thanks dko22 for the precisions! I will definitely have a look at your xpression map, thanks for sharing. Best, B.

Hi, I’m just starting a big choral-Symphonic piece using what Dorico Pro 4 has and also adding my VSL VLPro Solo Strings & Vienna Synchron Player VSO.
I started doing soloist parts for the viola section (I use 10 violas). Then I changed it to a section viola, using Divisi. In this change the playback stopped working. I’ve played around with the VST’s and can’t get Dorico to playback how it did before.
Any ideas?

I assume you’ve checked all of the routing in Play mode, i.e. selected each player and verified in the Routing section of the track inspector that it is still pointed at the expected endpoints?

OK, here’s what I found, which I don’t understand:
This is what I see when in Play mode for the Viola Player

Then I choose the plugin and get this:

After, I go and open the VSL and get this:

Don’t know why it’s all black. I checked the sample files and re-scanned them to make sure the program can see them. Still no change.

I also opened the endpoint and see this: (I still don’t remember what this is for; how it works; what it does)

What am I missing?

I used the factory maps as the basis for my own modified versions, to which I have added xF initialization for one thing, and user expressions to handle switching between tutti, group 1/2, desk 1/2/3/4 & solo. On my Ensemble instance I set up the first instance of violin 1 (for e.g.) as tutti, and the second as group 2. Those will only change if you send a direct command via the relevant user expression.

Note that the violas & cellos only have 3 desks, which means you’ll want a separate map for the violas with only the 3 desk switches, since the keyswitches are subtly different from the violins’.

you seem to be using the Symphonic Riot Articulate map, which is designed for the VI Pro libraries, for your Synchron library. Please make sure first that isn’t the case (it may be you are mixing both libraries and know what you’re doing but the setup seems strange at a quick glance)