Divisi parts not showing

Hi,
Does anybody know which reason could make a divisi part not showing? I have a change from “divisi a 2” to “divisi a 4” with written music in all divisi parts, and the parts 3 and 4 of the “div a 4” are not being shown neither in full score nor parts…
(if I insert a system break at the “div a 4” change, then the hidden parts are shown!)
Thanks!

This is noted in the manual, here.

1 Like

Oh, thanks pianoleo!
I see, Dorico can’t know which of the previous divisi parts goes on the new divisi change… Now that I understood the reason it would be easier to remember :slight_smile:
By the way this is because it forces to show all divisi parts of the largest divisi in each system. If the divisis were shown as in Gallery View (adding or removing new staves at the middle of system) it would be probably different!

Oh, thanks pianoleo!
I see, Dorico can’t know which of the previous divisi parts goes on the new divisi change… Now that I understood the reason it would be easier to remember :slight_smile:
By the way this is because it forces to show all divisi parts of the largest divisi in each system. If the divisis were shown as in Gallery View (adding or removing new staves at the middle of system) it would be probably different!

Sorry to come back to this old post, but I thought it would be better than opening a new thread.

So I am in Page View and on one particular page I have the Violins 1 playing a two-staff divisi which is Solo Violin + Gli altri. For three bars.

Then I change onto Solo + 1. + 2. It should be a three-staff divisi. I understand I should see the maximum number of staves (three) from the beginning of the system on that page. As it happens on Galley View.

But on Page View, at the second divisi change, there is no staff 2., because there were no three staves from the beginning of the page, (and all that music does not show).

How can I solve that? I’m glad I caught it, otherwise I would have missed that gone-music on the score.

On the part everything is fine.

Thanks!

Hi. Either rewrite your Solo+gli altri in Solo+1 +2 for those three bars (where obviously 1 and 2 will receive the exact same music here), or make sure there’s a system break after those three bars.
FWIW I’ve been caught by this too😉

Thank you!

Yes… I considered those possibilities… With the first one I end up with three unnecessary staves when only two would make more sense. And inserting a system break after those three bars would mean having only three bars on that orchestral page, which will ruin the layout/look of it…

I wonder why this issue hasn’t been addressed in Dorico 4, divisi treatment being a distinctive feature of this software, and a very common thing to do for many users.

Ok, so now I’m puzzled. I did replace the Solo + gli altri with Solo + 1 + 2. It shows that on Page View, and of course on Galley View.

I understand that If divisi changes occur partway through a system, Dorico Pro automatically extends the extra staves to the start or end of the system and The number of staves in a system is defined by the first divisi change in the system.

So how come on bar 172 of the part… I still have a hidden staff 2. (which contains different music from 1.) instead of the system beginning with three staves already?

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 19.02.17

Putting a system break at the beginning doesn’t fix it either.

Any help? I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong…