Do changes in gain (process) contribute to generation loss?

I am wondering about this because I find it easier than using automation.

Generally I like to keep faders at zero and use gain processing (normally just going up for the whole track but down where there are transients).

I don’t find much of a discernible or noticiable change to the sound, eg a bass sound starts really loud and I knock down the attack manually where transients occur.

What I find most puzzling is the fact that transients are present but are not necessarily shown as a waveform in the audio editor so does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers

Hi,

If you change the Volume on the Gain, then the change is made before Compressor(s) and other plug-ins and Channel Strip modules. So these plug-ins are affected then. The fader is after these plug-ins.

Btw: VCA Faders (in Cubase since Cubase Pro 8) are this kind of Volume change. You can keep your Audio tracks faders on 0 and use VCAs. It makes sense for some use cases.

I was actually referring to Audio Processing :relaxed: but all good.

I never used to normalize when I used cubase, it was kind of looked down upon, like it would hurt the content maybe.

But I’ve been using it here in S1 without problems, seemed like we’ve talked about that here and that it’s a safe process.

Also when you’re talking about really hi fidelity stuff a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse.

Hurting the content would only mean a re-import if you have backups, unless there are issues with audio starting before the bar for example.

I have decided that destructive editing is best for what I do since the downstream effects are easier to manage and I don’t require automation.

Zooming in on a waveform most times and selecting an area or time period to alter more often than not you find the so-called “zero crossing” so it’s not really an issue if you take time and know what you are doing.