Do I lose any capabilities by upgrading C10 to Nuendo?

Anybody here familiar with/use Cubase and Nuendo?

The upgrade price from Cubase to Nuendo is the lowest I have ever seen it…but you lose your Cubase license in the bargain. I have a sense of the additional features and capabilities that Nuendo has compared to Cubase, but is there anything you lose by going to Nuendo? Or is Nuendo basically “Cubase-plus”?

One thing I think I’ve noticed is that it seems Cubase is updated more often and that new features hit Cubase first and Nuendo lags about a year or more before incorporating them. The updates seem more expensive too?

Note: I do not currently do a lot of high level post/game/adr production, but at this price - and if I don’t lose any music making capabilities - I don’t see why I shouldn’t take advantage of the upgrade to gain some potentially useful abilities.

Thoughts?

If you´re on Cubase 10 now, then yes, until NUENDO is updated to the new version

basically - yes

You should try the trial version out first to make sure it will meet your needs.

Regards :sunglasses:

Excellent suggestion! It won’t mess with my current C10 prefs, etc., right?

One thing I think I’ve noticed is that it seems Cubase is updated more often and that new features hit Cubase first and Nuendo lags about a year or more before incorporating them. The updates seem more expensive too?

This is the main reason I’m not biting. All I want is one or two features out of Nuendo. Otherwise, it is totally overkill and probably not worth the money (for me) and risking my long-established Cubase workflow.

I just wish Steinberg would include all audio-related functions in Cubase Pro (full multi-channel support, in particular). Just doesn’t feel right that they leave out audio features from a supposed full version of Cubase. -Especially more affordable DAWs like Logic Pro X or Reaper have them! ie. 7.1

According to Timo’s post in the Nuendo forum:

“We have re-aligned the main sequencer development which means that you won’t have to wait
a year or more for features that we first introduce with Cubase. That said, both Cubase and
Nuendo now run on the same development branch, which also means that bug fixing will be more
efficient for both platforms. Depending on the release cycles, both products will introduce new
features and functions with every new version. All of them will make it always to Nuendo (as usual)
and (only) selected functions introduced with Nuendo first will make it into Cubase, later.”

You’re losing your religion.

As far as I can tell you do loose the built in ability of the software to cope with more than 14 processing threads under Windows 10

Sorry but, I don’t know for sure so my suggestion would be that you back up all of your Cubase user preferences before doing anything.

Regards. :sunglasses:

There’s no reason why that wouldn’t be ported to Nuendo 10 too. Nuendo 10 will have everything in Cubase, just more, nothing less.

AFAIK, Cubase is NOT the exact same app as Nuendo but with a few features stripped out. They appear to be two separate apps, with which Steinberg has been gradually merging feature sets and functionality. As such, all projects cannot be assumed to be 100% compatible with the other, and Steinberg is smart not to make any guarantees saying otherwise.

Correct, they are not identical. My comment was purely about that Nuendo will have all features in Cubase, and I assume that includes the cpu-handling mentioned. I don’t expect Cubase - only - to handle 14+ threads while Nuendo can not…

Then there are a few things that work a bit differently (it’s my understanding that VCA faders are such a thing).
But it’s also said that they aim to make such differences more harmonized in the future:

Thanks everyone. I’ve downloaded the demo and in the process of recreating my set up…