Do Track Versions affect computer performance?

Hey everyone! I am working with drum recordings - a lot of tracks and group editing - I like the idea of having several edits at hand - but I wondered if I am better off copying the project and making different edits that way?

I am trying to optimize my computers performance as I have an older machine and I wonder if having several track versions for 14 tracks will affect performance?

Or do the track versions only use ram when you select them and not also use ram in the background?

Thanks!

By ‘versions’ do you mean creating a new version on the same track or creating a new track so you now have two tracks. If you are just creating a new version on the same track, then I’m not sure if all the versions are read. But if you’re creating separate tracks each time, then you can save resources on the unused track versions but selecting them all, right mouse clicking and choose ‘disable track’. This means that the program will not search for them on playback. If you only mute the track, it will still play through the track even if it’s muted. So disabled unused tracks. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your reply - I mean track versions as in one track that has different versions stored on it through the ‘track versions’ feature. I sometimes make a lot of different edits to several tracks simultaneously through group edit mode and wanted to make sure if that would affect performance?

Sorry Phillipp but I’m not sure myself; maybe someone here has better knowledge of this. But using the disable function instead of the mute button will definitely save resources. If I’m doing edits, I use the disable function instead of the Mute; I have the disable function on a shortcut (I use the letter D as a toggle). I just select the track (not hi-lite it) and hit D; it will turn it on or off depending on its current status. It also disables the inserts and sends on that track.

I don’t know for sure, but I doubt that they do since they are just extra data sitting there unused.

If it’s something you want to actually resolve it would be pretty easy to setup a test Project & find out.

1. Create (or copy) a Project that’s got enough happening to create a decent load on your computer
  2. Measure the load
  3. Select all the Tracks and create a bunch of duplicated Versions
  4. Measure the load again
  5. Repeat as desired

I recall a while back reading the difference between mute and disable.
Mute silences the playback, but still reads the file…so used resources.
Disable means playback doesn’t see the file…so no used resources. That includes any effects on that channel. But I did a small test just the same.
I created an audio track and put three effects in the inserts. I used UAD since they are pretty resource hungry and I had no UAD plugins in this project.
I then brought up the UAD meter and it showed 20% usage (I have the smallest UAD2 card). I muted the track and still a 20% usage.
Then I disabled the track and the usage went to 0%.
So disabling definitely saves resources…IMHO
Hope this helps

The track versions feature uses only a small amount of memory, and no cpu, so there is no effect on performance.

1 Like