Do you use a controller app with Cubase?

What is the point of controlling software with software? Is it the remote access that is use case? I do use remote controllers, but I do that for the hardware interface. I dont like the mouse or trackball that I have. But I effing hate anything and everything with capacitive touch, and resistive does not work. Making a bad interface worse? And cubase remote functionality has a lot of room for improvements and I dont think any of the sofware remotes does anything different from a hardware. Or?

For me itā€™s the remote aspect yes, i find that sat in front of a screen sucks me creatively. I much prefer to sit in a corner with guitar/amp with ambient lighting, and record that way with a controller by the side. Also, you learn to use your ears more as youā€™re less subjected to visual elements.

Iā€™m using a screen all day for coding - so i just need to escape it when doing music, especially as iā€™m easily sidetracked.

More objectively speaking, the shortcut controls on control apps are great for someone who isnā€™t a master of the key commands or uses them for macro/script style processing. i.e. i use a controller to move between marker points, and thereā€™s probably a simple key command process for that.
ā€¦So whats the point/benefit?! Itā€™s down to the individual i guess is the answer.

+1.
I also have a seperated corner in my room for recording acoustic guitar or vocals and then itā€™s great to have the ipad (and IC PRO) with a controller for start/stop/rewind, and also watching my recording levels.
And another corner with a second pair of Hifi-speakers for checking mixes/channels, comparing with referencetracks and so while playing Cubase.
So for me very usefull that IC PRO.

I use hw controller with knobs. The fronter Tranzport was very good. But lacks cubase drivers but can be used in MCU mode.

I think share that what that is, is what this thread is about.

Well iā€™m a longtime Mackie user as i came through using Logic Pro and transferred well to Cubase. But since using Eucon, any supported hardware & software controllers can coexist very happily so itā€™s the best of both worlds. Plus the 8 character limit is gone on track names which really aids navigationā€¦I Never feel lost where i am in the project mixer banks as some controllers do.

This is why i feel that Eucon (+Avid control app) is the way to go on controller apps, not only does it give you mixer/eq control, plugins and instrument parameters but itā€™s excellent for setting up macros and shortcuts as per metagrid. Yet itā€™s relatively unknown to a lot of people who have ipad or android tablet laying around.

However, back to the original point - itā€™s so much simpler to pick a wireless tablet up and take it into a recording booth, amp room or corner of the room and yet retain such a high level of control to test levels and mic positions etc. Wouldnā€™t fancy strapping an MCU to my chest. :wink:

If all you do is sit at a desk slaved to the screens and do music then a controller app is not going to have so many advantages imo.

Sure a real MCU is quite big. But there are smaller ones. I think the faderport V2, X-touch one etc. But they do need cable, the tranzport did not.

So youā€™re advocating buying something like a Tranzport, or faderport (+extension cable/conduit wrap) vs using a control app, solely because itā€™s hardware? Or am i missing something here(!?). Neither come close to offering the integration and portability to take into an enclosed booth, plus you need to look at the screen in another room to see what track youā€™re controlling on a single fader unit.

If the point is that you donā€™t like touchscreens, then thatā€™s a whole other debate related to your needs and requirements. Sorry, but iā€™m just struggling to understand the general point youā€™re making.

Absolutely. If need to do other than tracking I sit in front of the computer. If I needed advance function I would rather put in a small screen and cables. If I had to use a tablet I would probably do that with VNC computer remote controlling and a BT or USB HID connected to the tablet. I have not tried that but I think that would work for me.

Yes, that makes MUCH more sense than a specific application that integrates with Cubase after hundreds of hours of expert development for this specific task, great idea.

Itā€™s so much easier and economical to buy a second machine, mount a screen in the studio, network it, run power to it, run a VNC server on your audio machine, install VNC client on slave machine, secure it via firewall, invest into BT/USB HID devices - then i could wallmount a keyboard and mouse within the vocal booth. Fantastic idea, would look great too! I could repeat it in the amp room too.

Gonna uninstall this control app now, itā€™s redundant. :slight_smile:

I have not seen any remote that can make it a full controller. Touch screens take a way focus, with a hardware knob I can look at something relevant instead of looking the fingers trying to get them in right place. And it is much easier to get a computer secured than it is to get an application to have network access to your DAW.

Before getting a controller app I used to use lots of Key Commands. And they work great for tasks that you frequently do. But other Key Commands only got occasional use - which creates the problem of needing to remember the keystrokes assigned to those Key Commands. Which in turn caused me to not use those KCs as much if it meant needing to look it up on a list. So now moving a line an octave higher, doubling it an octave lower, or setting the bottom notes on a bunch of chords to Channel 4 are all easily accomplished by tapping an appropriately labeled button (now no need to remember ctrl+shift+elbow+K).

My MIDI Keyboard controller is to MIDI data like Metagrid is to Cubase commands.

Funny enough Iā€™ve found an advert for this in my mailbox 10 minutes after I wrote this comment. :laughing:

Same after I read your post

?? Cubasis for Android is not Cubase iC

This was my typo! Sorry about that. But it is (Cubase) iC pro for android. There is a press release about it back in 2014!

For sure it is not a coincident. But how did they do that? This forum is very clean, and does not have spy-script as many other. The source only shows references to schema.org. What browser do you use?

Thereā€™s no coincidence, I think Raino received an advert for Cubasis for Android, not Cubase iC Pro for Android.

Yes indeed. I apparently didnā€™t read the post close enough to register the different product names. Probably because Iā€™m not really interested in using either one.

heh. Cubase iC Pro, Cubase, Cubasis VST (1999), Cubasis for iOS. How could anyone possibly have gotten confused?! :mrgreen:

As far controllers or apps, I use a KMI Softstep and a couple cmc controllers via the generic remote, and Bome MIDI translator.

Firefox