Do you use a controller app with Cubase?

Do you use regularly a controller app when working with Cubase?

• No, I don’t use any controller app.
  • iC pro
  • Metagrid
  • Quadro
  • Lemur’s Composer Tools Pro
  • TouchOSC
  • Other
  • Composer/orchestrator for orchestral Music!
  • Mixing engineer
  • Composer/arranger/producer for Electronic, Pop, Soundtrack, Rock, New Age, …

0 voters

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses a controller app for Cubase and if so, what? I would like to try to see if they boost my workflow. I am thinking of buying an iPad to run iC pro.

You need to add Eucon in there via the Avid ipad/android app - it’s fantastic and gets my vote 100%… So i had to pick other lol.

Great. Now I know what other means!

The latest version of Metagrid just got a whole lot easier configure & customize. :smiley:

Too bad I setup most of mine long ago and can only take advantage when adding an occasional button. :frowning:

Avid’s Control app, which is light years beyond Steinberg’s own Cubase IC Pro unfortunately.

Having used lemur and metagrid (they are great) I now use dtouch in the same computer with to touchscreens and there’s no going back

Thanks. I was not aware of touch.

I’m not sure what you mean by this? Can you elaborate a bit?

I updated Metagrid a couple days after the update was released only to discover it didn’t work properly on my older iPAD (Which they say has been fixed) and too many bugs in general.

Yes, if I update again I can revert back, but not being very comfortable with iTunes, I’m still a bit leery of trying it again.

Next to ic pro i am still using V Control Pro, the reason back in 2013 why i bought an ipad

1 Like

In the first 6-9 months I had Metagrid I built 90%+ of the buttons & layouts I use. Having the new improved configuration capabilities would have been useful then. But nowadays I only infrequently make changes so the improvements, while nice, won’t get used very often.

So far, 40% of the ones how responded don’t use any app. ( June 14, 2020)

I am not very convinced about using controller apps yet. I have a Mac keyboard with num keys, CC 121 with a sustain pedal, and a three-pedal footswitch that is programmable. I suppose if one wants to record himself (hands-free), the usage of the pedal is indispensable.

No, I don’t use any app as I am not aware of any apps for Android.

Depends on your setup, if you have a single desk with computer and everything close it’s way different scenario vs having drum or vocal booth, a control app in an environment where you move around is brilliant. If you’re recording on your own then it’s a game changer.

When I record violin and keyboard of course. I think foot pedals work better! Just you use your foot to record, rewind, startstop, set punch in, etc.

Yeah, hence why i said it depends on your setup. If you’re recording vocal takes on your own it’s great having a controller in the booth whereby you can set levels and move to different takes. But if you have no need for that then it’s not going to be useful.

Use the Eucon protocol with the Avid Control app - it’s wonderful.

Just came out or learned: Cubase IC for android

1 Like

I find I use Metagrid most when I’m editing and can have a matrix of buttons with useful Macros, LE presets & commands. Another area it gets used for a bunch (and I didn’t anticipate this) is for setting Track/Event colors. The colors in my pallet are all named by Instrument (Drums, Cello, etc.) or Functions (Reverb, Rhythm Sect.). In Metagrid the buttons are (roughly) colored to match the pallet and have the names on it. So all I need to do is hit the blue “synth” button and the selected Track gets a new color. I also used to pretty much only uses Markers 1-9 because those were the only ones that use a single keystroke to get to. But with Metagrid it is just as easy to go to Marker 23 as it is for Marker 6. As a result I now have a standardized set of markers and can just hit a button to go to Verse 3 or Outro etc.

When I first got Metagrid there were tasks I anticipated using it for. But the most useful things turn out to be stuff that hadn’t occurred to me until I’d had it for awhile. Setting colors (and now using those color names to show/hide Tracks) was one of those.

FWIW I’m not an iOS guy and got a used iPad specifically to run Metagrid.

I see the benefit of having the app.
I have already purchased iC pro. I wish iC pro had was as flexible as Metagrid. I am not convinced (by Steinberg )

The most advanced Cubase remote control app!

Connecting deeper to Cubase than any other app, Cubase iC Pro is the most advanced Cubase control app with a clear focus on recording, making it your very personal recording assistant. The project overview page and the mixer allow you to see your project as you know it from Cubase, while the key command page gives you a powerful tool to set up your most-used keyboard shortcuts and macros. Up to four dedicated cue mixes can be set up with Cubase iC Pro, giving musicians the freedom to adjust their own mix with an iPhone or iPad. Cubase iC Pro is Cubase’s perfect companion!

At a given time, we basically use it ( I suppose this is true for other controller apps) in one of these areas:

I couldn’t find a way to enter Unicode characters to display say note and quantize values in lieu of text.

Does anyone have any other use cases ( concrete) for controller apps to share?

3 Launch Pad mini’s with Bome MT Pro. Takes up more desk space but better than paging up and down. Plus, I like the feel over a touch screen.