Does anyone know if I can revert back the firmware of my UR44C

I read on how it’s typically adviced when it comes to printers, phones or other kinds of hardware to avoid downgrading, like mentioned here. downgrade - Why some firmware updates prevent downgrading? - Super User

If I had read that before, I would have hesitated to downgrade. And just because that it worked for me, doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for you. I just got even more curious of what a firmware upgrade/downgrade actually does. What I assume is that they don’t want to deal with downgrade issues and therefore it’s easier to say that you shouldn’t do it, though it may work.

So you are saying if you use the last Tools installer in Windows it also reverts the firmware ?

KarlKaos,

There are four aspects of the UR44C Audio Interface.

Boot (which I believe is the same in all versions = V1.10)
Main (this is the firmware version which I first updated to v3.00 and then downgraded to V2.01)

Driver (with my downgrade of the firmware, my driver also was downgraded from V2.1.6 to V2.1.3)

dspMixFx UR-C (this must be the same as the Main)

So I first did run this for the upgrade/update.

Then I did run this for the downgrade.

All the packages from this webpage: UR-C Updates and Downloads | Steinberg.

So I’m just saying that it worked for me, but there’s no guarantee that it will work for everyone. I worked with support for the McAfee antivirus software and have seen several cases that software and hardware have their own way and sometimes behaves like they have a personality. So if you want to try this, it’s at your own risk. I wouldn’t have done it if I hadn’t have the old UR44 device as a backup.

My boot version is v1.0.0 for the UR44C

Not sure how to update the boot version either. I’ve installed the v3.0 update with the firmware as well.

Firmware updaters often do not update the bootloader unless the new bootloader is mandatory. This helps to prevent a failed upgrade from bricking the device, as a working bootloader should allow you to retry the failed firmware update, but a damaged bootloader likely bricks the device.

1 Like

I just uninstalled the new driver in windows and then installed the old driver and then the firmware update thingy allows you to downgrade the firmware which also went down without any issues. Not sure if it works the same way in Mac, but I’m glad I got rid of the new driver. Problem solved