Hi- Computer tech virtual noob question here …
On my XP (Carillon music computer) things slow to a halt and I get audio drop outs and memory notices when I run C6.5 projects as small as 5 audio tracks and two VSTi’s (Halion Sonic SE and JamStix 3). All this is with few if any plug-in’s running, and with buffer at 2048. Error-type messages will range from things like, “Cubase 6 out of memory”, to “Jamstix 3 could not save your project to the host”.
I copied some #s off the Task Manager Performance panel, and was hoping maybe someone could look them over and give their thoughts:
1) Smaller project that doesn’t crash:
– Project not running: CPU = 4%, Page File is 634MB.
– Project running: CPU = 14%, Page File is 852 MB.
2) Big project that crashes:
– Project not running: CPU is at 47%, and Page File is 1.26GB.
– Project running: CPU is at 89%, with Page File at 1.22 GB.
3) Another big project that crashes:
– CPU 100%, Page File 1.45GB when running and crashes.
So - is the blindingly obvious also true in this case - extra RAM is the cure for my DAW ills (at least until I upgrade to W7)? I was surprised that the Page File only maxed out at about 1.5GB when the audio dropouts started happening, and seeing the CPU also so high made me wonder if there was something else I should be considering instead.
Thanks for any thoughts -