DOLBY ATMOS with 9 on the floor - Speaker Configuration Issue

How come all surround channel options that make use of 9 speakers on the floor (9.1.4, 9.1.6…) follow SDDS speaker setups only? This is a huge problem as a 9 speaker setup in Dolby Atmos only has L,C,R at the front (not 5), with 2 additional independant wide speakers (in between Front L/R and Side Surround Speakers).
This makes 9.1.4 or 9.1.6 object based bed configurations impossible even when using the external dolby renderer.

1 Like

Your issue relates to the same needs requested in other threads on speaker order. Steinberg have chosen to stick with one old microsoft speaker order.

Really, speaker order needs to have a list of options, and when selected that order is reflected in all meters, the control room, the order audio passes to Atmos and how it is rendered in various formats.

If I had any votes left I’d vote here. Please Steinberg hear us on this.

3 Likes

Seems like it has to be an issue with Dolby then, not Nuendo, right?

I don’t think it’s the same thing. The OP is talking about the configuration of speakers which will affect panning, the other thread(s) is talking about the order of channels within the same configuration of speakers.

HI Ben_Chase and MattiasNYC,

Thanks for your interest in the matter!! :slight_smile:

so, no, this does not relate to channel order, although channel order needs to be addressed.
And this is not a Dolby issue either.

As stated in Nuendo’s user manual, all 9.1 formats follow the SDDS speaker format, which is essentially an extension of 7.1 with 2 additional speakers between L & C and beetween C & R.
This is not how a 9.1 is setup in Dolby atmos: panning at the front only pans across 3 speakers (L,C,R) in 9.1 Dolby atmos, the 2 additional speakers being the “Front Wide” speakers, that are part of the surround speaker set, not the front.
Consequently when creating a 9.1.4 or 9.1.6 object-bed, that Nuendo panning does not map to the Dolby atmos speaker configuration and is unusable.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Interesting…

Ok cool. Just seemed like its a speaker config or format as you put it, that could also be in the proposed list. I meant order in a general sense. To me in this particular case speaker configuration/order/format are all part of the same set that could be addressed with the FR. They all come after the control room or output section, all affect ATMOS speaker config hence rendering or pass thru, all affect how the meters are displayed/labelled.

Also please dont think I’m trying to invalidate the need for this thread. On the contrary.

All good!

1 Like

Agreed that speaker order-routing needs to be addressed further…
Maybe setup sub menus which would include variation in a particle spec. For example, An ITU folder, An SDDS folder etc…

1 Like

Any development on this @Thorsten_Marx ? Thank you.

I haven’t been on this forum for very long. But since my first post, I have been begging Steinberg to add Dolby-compliant 9.1.x layouts. But so far I haven’t seen any sign that my pleas have been answered. This may be due to the fact that the internal Atmos renderer only supports 7.1.4. Nevertheless: Dolby-compliant 9.1.x layouts make sense in any case. Atmos is object-based. The fact that the internal Atmos renderer only supports a maximum of 7.1.4 is simply irrelevant.
Yes, it currently works with tricks even without such an “official layout”. But a 9.1.x compliant layout would make my life so much easier.

1 Like

Yeah the interenal render only supports 7.1.4, but one would expect to be able to do 9.1. formats via an external render.

9.1.x also works with the internal Atmos renderer.

Could you explain how this can be done?