Dongle Protection??? - Physical and Insurance

Hi! I just purchased Cubase 7.5, and this is the first time I’ve had to use a dongle for any type of software. I am using it on my laptop that will NEVER be taken outside of my home. However, I still can’t believe that my expensive investment is based around this one USB ‘stick’!!! Anyone have any suggestions on the physical protection of the dongle while in/out of my computer (i.e. usb hub, security box, etc). Also, (this may be dumb to ask) but how do you (can you) insure something like this? If it gets lost or stolen is there ANY way to replace without buying Cubase again (which I’d NEVER be able to afford). Thanks!

Aloha t and welcome to the board. E’ Komo Mai’.

Here are a couple of threads on this topic.
(if you do a search of the board you will find a few more)

A few tips/tricks and suggestions about durability etc.

Some are quite long so settle in.

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

From what I’ve read elsewhere on this forum, Steinberg is very generous (far beyond any legal requirements) when it comes to stolen and damaged dongles.

I have question that I’d appreciate an official (from a moderator) answer. I have an old dongle, that came with Cubase SX v1.x. It has worked flawlessly, but has been exhibiting some strange behavior lately. Every so often it looses contact with the eLicencer software (latest updates installed makes no difference). When this happens I move it to another USB port and everything works, for a while. When it acts up again, I move it back to the original port and it works again for a while.

I’m sure that it has something to do with the dongle, because when it acts up both Cubase and WLE stops working. And when I move it both start working again.

My question is this. Does Steinberg have some replacement scheme in place for old dongles (there aren’t many 15 year old things expected to work with a modern computer, are there?) or do I have to purchase a new one myself?

Any chance of getting an official answer to this question?

You can buy a new dongle from music equipment stores around the world and transfer your license into the new one.
For example:

That wasn’t my question!

IMHO no!

Even with all the previous posts on this subject,
there has been no comment (official or unofficial) from Steiny on this issue.

I do not see that position changing.

But never say never.
{‘-’}

Hello Curteye!
I have a question.I hope You can me to answer.I 'd like to buy an old
Cubase (cub4 studio) from my friend, this is a box version but he lost
the factory cd. The eLicencer,licenc paper (with activaton code),
manual,… etc is ok, only cd lost.
My question :If I buying his Cub4 is this LEGAL??
And need I to register this product on “MySteinberg” net?
Thank You
:open_mouth:

I lost my dongle which cost me over $1000.00 in lost licenses. My partial solution is physical and involves purchasing this stuff called “U MOLD” from your local Radio Shack for about $10/500grams. U MOLD is little beads of plastic which melt when heated either with a heat gun, or when placed in a cup of water and microwaved for 3 minutes or so. The beads turn into this goo which you can them mold into whatever shape you want. I used a pill bottle cut in half for the mold filled up about 1/3 of the way with the goo. I put the dongle into my laptop’s usb port, then turned the pill bottle sideways and pushed it onto the dongle so that the molten plastic covered about 1/2 of the total length of the dongle, with the bottom of the pill bottle resting on whatever flat surface the laptop is on… It dries in 5 minutes or less. I then drilled an 1/8" hole close to the end of the assembly carefully missing the business part of the dongle, then formed a “key ring” out of a piece of metal coat hanger and glued the ends so it couldn’t unravel.
If you want to get fancy, they sell little bottles of colored plastic beads next to where the UMOLD is to add or replace the white beads that come in the 500 gram bag. I swirled some red and orange together for mine so it wouldn’t be so easy to lose visually and attached it to my home/car key ring. It works.
The melting point of the plastic goo isn’t high enough that it damaged the electronics in the dongle, at least in my case.
If anyone knows how I can get the dongle insured please let me know,
rick

I would make a nuance on some of the request for official policy around this.
They have a policy and they communicate it. Not offen, but they do:

an example:

I have accidentally lost my USB key! Does it get replaced by Steinberg?
• Again, the USB-eLicenser is the most vital part of your product!
Please make sure to have all eLicensers registered in MySteinberg so that they are known. Without a MySteinberg account and a USB-eLicenser registration, no replacement is possible.
Now, in case the USB-eLicenser has been lost or stolen, please contact your local support for further information on how to proceed.
It might make sense to have an empty spare USB-eLicenser at hand as we only replace the licenses stored on the lost/stolen key (if all preconditions are met).

So, they do communicate, and they do replace the licenses.

I actually had my dongle stolen, and they did replace the licenses. It is imperative to contact them because this is Always based on the case itself. Also: the policy is normally: one time replacement only. Actually, what happens is that they give you a software license (was my case), not the same type of license that comes when registering the first time that is on the usb key. But once you for example do an upgrade (as i went from artist to the full version) everything gets registered back normally on the usb key.

Better would be some kind of software version of cubase, that you can use without the dongle, for purpouses that you have to take your gear outside. (performances) A sort of Cubase Player. If you do not need to take the dongle with you, you cant loose it either. You can support this request here: Steinberg Forums

We would all benefit from such a thing. Being mad about the dongle is not solving things, looking for solutions is.

kind regards,
R.

Cubase Elements? Fairly priced, in my opinion. And I’m not even a PRO! :mrgreen:

Hey Scab,

The answer is no, due to the lower access counts on several points, same as with AI.
I use a lot of tracks, racks, and audiotracks on a template for live purpouses.

Number of audio tracks: unlimited 64 48
Number of MIDI tracks unlimited 128 64
Number for instrument tracks unlimited 32 24

That’s where elements fails. For the most part: 24 intrument tracks is not enough. (16 with AI)
The rest most of the times lies within my requirements.

It should have just the same functionality as the full version, but with recording and editing functions disabled,so the original CPR can be used without the need to redraw the entire template. Literally: a player version but without the need for a dongle. (or even a an extra license)

Many vst-companies work with player versions. They are in fact full versions, just with access restrictions added and normally they are free of any charge.

kind regards,
R.

to add: also a lot of other software that creates “a standard” for their type of mediafiles have a player:

adobe, quicktime, windows media, kontakt player, alchemy player, and so on and so on. They alle have players. Good for bussiness.

So why not a CPR/Cubase player. (But then please with an ability to arm tracks and with midi input for controllers or it is useless for live)

kind regards,
R.

Just as a measure of dongle protection…I’d personally put it in some kind of protective case 1st, secure/mount it onto a surface, and then run a short USB extension cable from it, to the computer. If you’re using it for on-location recording, the enclosure itself could be use to conceal it’s true identity :bulb: Say, for an ‘outlandish & extreme’ example you put yer’ dongle in a hollowed out Dildo in the life-like shape of a penis, and you used a ‘U-Strap’ to secure it onto a surface with tamper-resistant screws, and then ran a short USB extension coming from it, in addition that Dildo had some ‘brown stuff’ on it’s end…who the HELL would want to touch THAT, much less work at ‘unstrapping’ that damn thing!

Food for thought! :bulb: “The Strap-On Dildo Dongle” Just call me the ‘Idea Man’ :mrgreen:

Okay, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i’m going to put a mask then on because i’m not going to be on a picture with a dildo attached on my laptop

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

but tx! for the tip.
In fact, i am nowadays enough accurate to keep the laptop in my neighbourhood.
But still, for example in situations where you only have a linecheck for 15 or 20 minutes, and everybody is running around with your gear like hell on and of a stage, you can not exclude the one thing you are trying to prevent.

a player version would indeed solve the dongle issue. If they run with the laptop, that is a different case where different preventive measures can be taken.

@SCab: Tx!, You can support this request here: viewtopic.php?f=182&t=64539

kind regards,
R.

I’d post a pic on MY dongle, but that might get me banned :mrgreen:

Again, the above was just FUN FOOD for thought :wink: And whether at home, but ‘especially’ on-location I’d take it to extreme measures. The encased dongle could be then set into and concealed into the ‘under-surface’ of your table or case in which the computer is resting in or on, thereby preventing any visual evidence of the dongles existence …out of site, out of mind! Then run your short USB cable. This would be great even at home mounted under your desk somewhere. And I don’t mean just simply mounted on the underside of a surface, but literally ‘set into’ the surface, and that surface be covered up as if there was nothing there! The only thing that would catch the eyes of anyone that had a fair amount of time to investigate would be the site of a USB cable going into that surface…but even then, you could make it so that the USB cable would also be hidden in a surface groove for several inches from the hidden dongle location :bulb: What, there going to tear apart the entire desk with a hatchet to see what that USB cable is going to? I doubt it :exclamation:

Now, hold yer dongle, til your head to the left & cough :ugeek:

Oh, Fogal … your imagination is never ending. Entertaining, for sure. Yet, at times, downright disturbing! If it gets any worse, I would suggest seeking the help of a professional.

:mrgreen:

What’s on YER dongle?

For a mobile rig enclosure, I’d also think about making an investment of a small tracking device, those that are used for bicycles etc, and can be tracked from a cell phone :ugeek:

[mod edit- images removed]

You have to get an insurance policy that covers the license on the dongle. If you use Cubase to earn money, your home insurance policy (or renters insurance) will typically not cover the license; you would need a business policy tacked on to whatever it is you have already.

Cheers.