Dongle virgin!

Hi Daniel,

I had installed Dorico from the boxed disk(s?) onto my laptop. But now I would like to run it on my desk top also. I am aware of the fact that I (at this time ) do need to transfer the software license to the e-licenser dongle and will need to connect this device to each machine to run the program in the future.

Could you detail the proper steps/procedures to avoid any missteps in the process? And any things to look out for (as in NOT TO DO!)

Also, I understand that the current policy for the need for the licensing software/hardware is something from above and is perhaps a company wide strategy, is there a way to allow the need for the use of the dongle just on start up of the program? There is a worry that many have of damage to/loss of this device when used on a laptop, such as the whole practical need for a laptop is to move it from place to place. Secondly, in case of the disastrous fail/loss of the e-licenser, is there anyway one could have a second dongle purchased and with customer support involved allow for a copy of the particular license be re-downloaded, or is the customer required to repurchase the program?

I am sorry to bring up these unpleasant issues but surely making the program/software secure BUT workable for the end users is good for all.

Thanks,

-Bob Ross

Hi Bob.

Could you detail the proper steps/procedures to avoid any missteps in the process?

Just plug in your dongle and run eLicenser Control Center.

Select your Dorico license, drag and drop it onto the USB Licenser icon on the left.

Once your license is on the dongle, register the USB Licenser (dongle) at your MySteinberg account.
You can do it from the eLicenser Control Center itself.

Secondly, in case of the disastrous fail/loss of the e-licenser, is there anyway one could have a second dongle purchased and with customer support involved allow for a copy of the particular license be re-downloaded, or is the customer required to repurchase the program?

Yes, once the dongle is registered with your account you can ask for replacement license.

To add to the previous post: as far as I know, the dongle needs to be connected to the computer you are using Dorico on for as long as the program is running (someone at Steinberg can correct me if I am wrong). This is similar to how the iLok works, in connection with Pro Tools.

If you are worried about losing or breaking your dongle, you could consider physically locking it to your computer if e.g. you are traveling or are using it in a shared space (school, studio, etc.). I know people physically lock their iLok, and you can find third party vendors offering physical contraptions for that purpose.

In terms of work flow interruption, if continuity is essential you might want to consider purchasing a spare dongle for disaster scenarios, and then contact Dorico support to help you getting a new license. That way you won’t have to wait for several days for the spare dongle to arrive, or go out and buy one in a store.

Right now, the transfer of your elicense to a dongle is a one way street (similar with other Steinberg software) – but I believe that Steinberg is investigating the possibility of transferring it from a software to the dongle, and back, so you wouldn’t have to carry around the dongle if e.g. for the next months you just want to use it on your laptop.

If you are worried about dongles, I’ve had iLoks and other hardware based dongles (e.g. for Waves) for years and rarely have had issues with them. Occasionally the iLok licenses give me authorization issues, but those are almost always gone after rebooting the computer.

Thanks, mizo and Pete,

I haven’t had a chance to do anything yet. but I hope it getting the licenser to do its thing is as trouble free as you say…