Don't drink and drive. Take a bus instead.

Aloha guys,

I would like to share an experience with you, about drinking and driving.

Some of us have been known to have had brushes with the authorities
on our way home from the odd social session over the years.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends at the
Marriott Hotel and had a few too many beers and a few shots.

Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something
I’ve never done before: I took a bus home.

Sure enough I passed a police road block but as it was a bus, they waved it past.
I arrived home safely without incident, which was a real surprise;
as I have never driven a bus before and am not sure where I got it.

found this on the intertoob

{‘-’]

In 1990 I saw John Martyn ( with David Gilmour in the band ) at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London .
As the crowd were leaving , a guy pulled out of the building site next door driving a small dumper truck .
No lights , it chugged off through the night traffic . I guess he didn’t fancy walking home !

You can always trust this forum for advice for just about anything.

Funny stuff! However, if I could take a moment to be a little bit more on the serious side of things …

I’ve never been one to tell others how they should go about their business. And I sure as hell have never been one to listen to anyone else tell me how to go about mine. But if I had listened I wouldn’t be in the situation I’m in now.

About two years ago I was at a local establishment to see my friends’ band and another more well known band play. I was there for a few hours and wasn’t really paying a lot of attention to the quantity of my alcohol consumption. I had been a professional drunk driver for years and just didn’t give it much thought.

After finishing my last 100 proof on the rocks I said my goodbyes and proceeded to wander around downtown for about a half hour trying to figure out where I had parked. Yes, that should have been a sign.

I remember finding my truck, climbing in and starting it, and pretty much nothing after that. When I finally “came to” I realized I had been driving on the highway in completely the wrong direction for about 50 miles. By the time I found a place to turn around I was so tired I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I was drifting all over the road and in and out of consciousness. Why I didn’t just pull over and sleep I don’t know. I would have been arrested for drunk driving but at least it wouldn’t have turned out like it did.

I kept driving and fighting to stay awake until I finally lost control, flipped over, skidded backwards on the hood and roof at full speed until hitting the ditch and digging in. After rolling about six times (barely making it across a set of railroad tracks) I came to rest upside down. I managed to shut off the ignition while laying on the roof in a pile of broken windshield glass but couldn’t get a door opened to climb out.

I drifted off to sleep once more to be awakened by the firefighters telling me they were going to have to break the window to get me out. After taking cover while they broke the glass I climbed out and walked up to the road. The whole thing just seemed like a bad dream but unfortunately it was entirely too real.

So yes, funny little story but drinking and driving is definitely not a laughing matter. I’m so thankful that I was the only one involved and miraculously didn’t suffer any injuries other than a couple scrapes and bruises. If I had hit another car and caused harm outside of my own little world I don’t think I could live with myself.

I’m in the clear now to have my drivers license reinstated but to be honest I’m scared sh!tless to get behind the wheel again. I’ll have to have an ignition interlock device installed for a year so I guess that will keep me from being able to do anything stupid for a limited time. After that it’s all up to me. I don’t think I will risk my own safety or the safety of others ever again.

Sorry about the long post in what was meant to be a lighthearted topic, c. I just thought this would be a good place to share my experience and maybe help someone else to avoid going through something similar.

Carry on!

Scott

Thanks for the cautionary tale. The joke is funny, but you remind us that the basic problem with alcohol is that you need your best judgment to stop while it’s still safe to drive, and that’s the first thing you lose. Glad you lived through it!

Scott, deep respect for sharing that with us. I am sure many of us have a similar story with a less dramatic outcome, but all the same, its easy to be stupid and hard to be sensible when the drink sets in.

And not to lecture but… :wink: The old story about falling off a horse and getting right back on comes to mind. Its better to face your fears. Just be sure when you next go socializing to get a ride with someone else, or pay for transportation. If you leave the wheels at home, you can relax all evening. I’ve had to do this a few times now, its much easier in the morning. :sunglasses:

Hi,
I think your in luck that night. But i like to suggest you one thing that don’t try to drive any vehicle if you were drunk…

Back in November Canadian Police were trying to discourage drink-driving by threatening to play Nickelback to offenders : Canada police to punish drink-drivers with Nickelback - BBC News

It certainly worked for me :laughing:

Sadly, impaired driving charges have gone up this last season in Ontario despite all the best efforts of the authorities and the media :imp:

Perhaps all cars should come with ignition interlock :question: