Dorico 2.2 -- Halion behaving oddly

Hello,

Recently, I have noticed an odd behavior in Halion when I open it through Dorico. Whenever I click on something, something else is clicked. For instance, when I click to change the instrument in a channel, it jumps to the channel below it, or when I click on the virtual keyboard, it tabs back to the Dorico window. Does anyone have an idea of a fix for this?

It sounds like a mismatch with the screen resolution/pixel density, somehow. Are you definitely running the latest version of HALion Sonic SE, which is I think 3.4? I believe you can download the latest version from here.

Hi Daniel,

I appreciate the prompt response, as always from Steinberg! That didn’t work – the version number I believe was the same, and although the Sonic standalone app works fine, the Dorico integration still was glitchy.

To confirm which HALion version you run, please do ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ which creates silently a zip file on your desktop. Please attach it here. Thanks

According to Dorico, I am the running the 64-bit version of v. 3.1.15.89 of Halion Sonic SE.

A bit of an update – sorry for the double post.

I believe it does have to do with something to do with resolution. I cannot resize the window, and there is some white space in between the actual editor and the top menu bar. I managed to make it go away and everything worked normally by clicking somewhere, but when I restarted the discrepancy returned. Does this help?

If you’re running a high pixel density display, then you may be running into some issues concerning how the audio engine handles such displays on Windows; this is something that is improved in more recent versions of Dorico. I would suggest you give the Dorico Pro 3.5 trial a try to see whether the HSSE window behaves any more sensibly using the latest version. Even if you don’t want to update to the latest version of Dorico now, it should at least give us a clue as to where the issue is.

Apologies for the late reply, but I believe I have figured out a work-around – whenever I move the window around (have to right click on the menu bar and select move since the rest of the ui is finicky), but then it snaps into place and things display correctly. Also tried disabling auto-scale in Windows graphics settings, and that did not make a difference.

Will also try 3.5 when I have the chance to install it.