Dorico 2 Pro bugs/enhancement requests

In general Dorico 2 is a big improvement, great work, there’s just a few things…
1.In Play mode the time panel needs to be expandable (vertically) it’s currently not.
2. How about implementing time curves and automation curves like they are in Cubase Pro 9.5, much more usable.
3. Add automation for mixer faders (including master faders)
4. Get rid of the empty useless faders that aren’t controlling anything in the mixer, please.
I wish you guys could all take a month and just write music in Dorico. Might even save time in the long run.
Again thanks for all your great work, Finally we are getting close to a notation program which serves composers as well as it does music copyists/engravers.
Seth Turner

Dear Seth,
I read this forum (almost) everyday, and have read carefully (almost) all the threads, so I can spare you to look for the answers : all these points are known by the team and they will solve all those problems, they’re already on their list (except for your 1., I think it’s the first time I read that request) !

It certainly is. You need to drag the small black handle on the left side;
Skjermbilde 2018-07-07 kl. 13.20.44.png

Thanks Anders ! That would explain why it is the first time I read that request !!!

That’s practically invisible. A person would only see it if told by somebody else. Please change that handle to something high contrast.

Love the enhancements with Dorico 2 but there are two bugs I have discovered:

1. If I save an orchestral score and reopen it at a later time, timpani rolls disappear when using Halion Sonic SE Timpani Combi KS. I have to manually remove the rolls and reselect the three-stroke tremolo each time the score is opened to correct the playback.

2. If I use divisi in string parts where there are hairpins, ties or slurs before or after the divisi section and extending into the divisi, these are not correctly handled. See the simple example in the attachments.

• The last bar of the lower violin part in the scores page 8 should tie into the next page but does not and it cannot be manually.

• The hairpin was absent from the lower part in the score but, after adding it, the violin part shows too many hairpins.

Both of these appear to be a function of where the return to tutti is placed in relation to the page or system break.

Thanks

Here’s the score

And the next page
Score Page 9 - violin divisi.jpg

I just discovered the lack of a tie on the bottom staff when going from a divisi system to a uniti system, which was reported by DSale, above. Just for the record, the problem also extends to divisi a 3 and more, too… only the top staff on the divisi system draws its ties correctly (see attached image).

Also, I would to make a request where the staff labels on the divisi systems are concerned: it would be nice if the staff names were automatically generated by default, based on the instrument name of the staff being divided, instead of defaulting to “Group” and “Gr.” for the long and abbreviated names each time a divisi point is created. Or, at the very least, once a divisi is created for an instrument, it would be nice if that setting would be used as a default when new divisis are created afterward for that instrument…

David, I’ve tried creating a timp. roll, saving and reopening the project, and it certainly continues to play OK for me. Can you reproduce this behaviour in a brand new, trivial project? I would guess not, in which case we may need to see your actual score in order to figure out what’s going on there.

There are certainly still some problems with the way divisi music is handled after a divisi passage, a number of which are already fixed in our development builds and which I hope will not trouble you once you get the new update.

That’s great to hear Re: the divisi fixes, Daniel! Thanks for all the work you do. Question: Would you recommend waiting for the forthcoming update to “auto” fix some of these divisi bugs, or would you recommend fixing manually? Not sure how close the update is, but I guess I’d be concerned about manually fixing and then having the update cause an additional issue to a “by hand” fix…if that makes sense.

Appreciate your hard work, as always.

I would indeed generally suggest leaving well enough alone for now if that’s a possibility. The update is only a few weeks away at most.

Thanks Daniel. Good news.

Thanks Daniel. It’s good to hear that an update is coming.

Rather than provide a trivial example, I removed all the instruments except the timpani from a copy of the score. It behaves the same way when I open it: some of the rolls (bars 21, 107, 220) play as single notes while the rest do play correctly as rolls.

All of these have dynamic changes during the rolls which, at first, I thought was the cause; however, bar 324 does play correctly and it has a dynamic change.

You will also notice that dynamic changes in rolls are not reproduced in the playback.

The file is still too large to attach even when zipped. I have created a link to my OneDrive so that you can examine it.

Is there something I have done incorrectly?

Thanks,
David

Sorry that I haven’t come back to you on this one yet, David. I’ve asked Paul to take a look and will report back once he’s had a chance to do so.

Paul has looked into this one. There are two problems at play here – one is a bug, the other a limitation that we plan to improve upon in future – and they are interacting to bad effect.

The rolls that don’t play back in your project are those where the final note in the roll has an override for the ‘Single-stem tremolo’ property to remove the tremolo strokes at the release of the note. Due to a bug, Dorico is incorrectly interpreting that property as coming at the start of the note rather than the end, with the result that it cancels the tremolo before it even gets started. Paul has fixed that bug, and that fix will make it into the forthcoming update (all being well), but another limitation is then revealed: for boring technical reasons, the point at which the tremolo keyswitch is processed makes it difficult to read the property that cancels it before the end of the note, so in due time we will have to improve this such that it can play the keyswitch for just a portion of the note; as it is, with Paul’s fix, the tremolo will play for the whole note, despite the property being set on the final note to stop the roll before the end.

As a workaround in the meantime, you might try the approach shown in the attached trivial project, where you avoid the use of the ‘Single-stem tremolo’ property by putting the note at the end of the roll in another voice, and then joining it to the main note by way of a cross-voice tie (select the roll note and the note in the other voice with Ctrl+click, and hit T).
timp-cross-voice.dorico.zip (219 KB)

Thanks Daniel and Paul. That proved to be a suitable workaround for now (and I still have a few hairs left on my head …).
Many thanks

I’m still loving Dorico - what an impressive music processor! - but have come across several small annoyances that may or may not be bugs. I have not located any of these on the forum:

1. I occasionally create a two-note chord in an instrumental part to indicate an alternate note. I change the second note head to cue size in the properties page but when I switch to the part layout from the full score, both note heads are full size.

2. Most of my dynamics use hairpins but, occasionally, I need to use cresc. poco a poco for a long crescendo. I enter cresc. in the dynamics popover and add the poco a poco in the properties. This displays correctly in the score but in the part layout the word cresc. is replaced by a hairpin.

3. If I make changes to the default layout page and then press the L->R button, the mirroring of the page numbers disappears and they always appear on the left rather than on the outside edge.

4. If I add a new master layout for a title page, create the layout using placeholders in frames and save it, then add it to the score or a part (to make better page turns), it reproduces as I have designed it. If I later make a change to the size of a frame or the size of the font on my master title page to accommodate the text and click Apply, this change does not get applied to the score or parts.

5. Since I make my music available for download, I must use letter size paper as my standard. I have changed my default page size to letter in Setup/Layout Options but when I open the Print page, it stubbornly remains A4 and I must change it manually. I worry that doing so will affect my carefully worked page layouts.

6. If I create a work, then decide to change an instrument to something else, I create the new instrument in Setup, copy the music to the new part, then delete the original instrument. When I open Endpoint Setup for HSSE in Play, the instrument assignments still show the now missing instrument. If I try to reassign channels to the instrument list on the left, these are not reflected in Endpoint Setup. When I open HSSE to load the new sound, it usually crashes.

7. Load Sounds for Unassigned Instruments does not seem to do anything in HSSE and I must load instrument patches one at a time. This probably has to do with the earlier problems I was having with playback crashing. (Dorico 2 doesn’t respond at launch)

As I said, most of these are very minor but if you can include fixes in the next release, I would by most grateful.

Thanks!

1 and 2 are not bugs: Changes of this sort are Layout-specific. However, the “Propagate Properties” feature is designed to carry these changes through to other layouts.
4. Sounds like your pages have manual overrides (red triangle in Engrave Mode on the Page thumbnail), which stops Master changes from carrying through.
5. You can save your Layout Options as Defaults: there is also a US/ International switch in the App’s Preferences.
6. You can change an existing instrument to something else without creating a new one and copying the music. Click the little discovery arrow on the Player to show the instrument, then right-click and select “Change Instrument”.

And #3 is expected as well. When you copy the layout, it duplicates, not mirrors.

I agree it would be handy to have this option, though I suppose page numbers are the only things it affects (typically), and that’s easily fixed. You can move the page number text frame to the outside edge after you duplicate L—R.