Dorico 3.1 update imminent

The Dynamics lane in the play tab…Thank you team !!!

As usual, the most exciting updates for me are the silly little ones that are MASSIVE for my workflow.

Oh look, I can change the font size of selected text using key commands. Huzzah!

Thank you folks!!

Did you see the nugget about lyric spacing, Dan?

I thought of Dan when I saw this, but I am also glad Anthony showed in his video what would happen to those who misused it (though certainly not a worry in Dan’s case).

I did! And I feel sheepish to say this, but I actually won’t end up using it. The reason is that, for bars in which there are large words (long, single-syllable words like “through” are the bane of hymnal typesetters!), I do in fact want the note spacing to be slightly wider for that bar only. Turning off lyric collision avoidance entirely would require some measures to be significantly respaced.

So instead, I’ve set the values in Engraving Options–Lyrics–Spacing–Minimum gap between adjacent lyrics to a fairly low value, and it’s a trade-off… I still have to do a good bit of manual adjustment to note spacing, since I want consecutive quarter notes to be visually equal in space, but not as much as I would otherwise. And in return, measures with dense text already are set up to get a little more horizontal space.

I’m sure the feature will be helpful. And I may in fact try it. Still trying to come up with faster and faster workflows, since I have a bazillion hymns to engrave in the next few months…

As an aside, I’ve been tracking my average time to typeset a hymn. It’s now literally half of what it was in Finale. Ahhh… it’s a good time to be an engraver!

One thing to consider that may not be obvious is that you can enable and disable spacing consideration for lyrics in a Note Spacing Change, as well as globally for the whole layout.

When I have a chance to play with this feature, I’ll begin by setting system breaks and see how close that will get me to what looks right; but then, I am not working at nearly the level of precision that Dan does.

Dan, embrace the “thru”! Oh, I guess your publisher prefers the more traditional spelingg.

Ah wut?! I put a line in the Scoring Notes review specifically for you!

[hangs head in shame]

I mean, I’ll certainly try it.

No, I’m my own publisher. But I just don’t like the look of it.

I have used it a couple times when it was unavoidable.

New update looks insane! Thank you Dorico team.

Only problem for me is that I am away and won’t be able to upgrade until I return home next week :frowning:

Cheers,
Warwick

I started by reading the Version History, and my reaction was what Anthony Hughes, in one of his typical outbursts of enthusiasm, once said: “I can barely contain my excitement.” Watching the series of new videos, especially the “Notation and Workflow Improvements” one, was a real treat. Lines and brackets at last!

Sometimes it’s also the small things that are highly appreciated. I love the new engraving option to align the pedal retakes with the center of the notehead. Thank you for this time saver!

If you want text with a line after it, use playing techniques. The new lines feature in Dorico 3.1 allows you to add text in the middle of a line, but not at the start.

Could I make a request for a change there? Seems just so close and such a shame not to be able to have text at the start and end of e.g. lines with arrows. Adding such things using playing techniques is not nearly so convenient and the new line tool seems the obvious place to have such functionality.

Best, Michael

This update is groundbreaking! No more midi disconnects, lines and more And musicxml export refinements plus a free entry level SE are invaluable.
Big thank you for this free update!

Big thanks from me too! It’s really a great upgrade! Ben

Just a little note to say I’ve returned to try this feature again (deselecting “make space for lyrics,” and I’m finding it does indeed save a good bit of time. It’s faster to allow lyric collision and nudge the lyrics than it is the other way. Only took me a year to use…

1 Like

Ha. I tried :rofl: