Dorico 3.5 announced

I’m not able to download to check at the moment, but does anyone know how versatile you can get with the expression maps with regards to the “length” of notes? In the videos they just show <=/=> “medium” as the length, but can you specify more/others than that?

Yes, there are 5 length categories of very short, short, medium, long, very long. For music in the range of 81-159bpm, medium = quarter note, short=eighth note, long = half note, etc. The length is calculated taking tempo into account. The supported operators are ==, != (not equal), <, <=, >, >=

We hope to add other things that the switches can be conditional on in the future (eg tempo, dynamic level).

Would be great if you could - maybe this could become a help article or part of the user manual since I think this question is asked from users time to time. Thank you very much

That’s awesome! Only thing left would be a legato offset and it’s pretty much perfect!

Today I downloaded Dorico SE version 3.5. It has been on my to do list. The installation went fine and I was up and running quickly. After just a couple of hours of exploring Dorico, I decided to purchase the Elements Edition. Within my Steinberg Hub, there is an UPGRADE option so that looked easy. I figured an upgrade would be from SE 3.5 to Elements 3.5. I proceeded without question. Then, when my email came with the link to the software to download, it all points to Element 3.1, not 3.5. I downloaded them anyway, but did not install. I was able to locate after looking on the website the files for 3.5 which I also dowloaded. So I have an installed and working SE 3.5, but want Elements 3.5. However, it appears I may have erroneously been downgraded to version 3.1 if I install the Elements 3.1 files. Before I go installing or uninstalling any software, I figured I needed to ask clarification. If this is confusing to you, imagine me when buying an ‘upgrade’ and ending up with a lower version of the newly released edition. I wanted Elements Version 3.5. Please advise. Thank you.

Silvers007, the Dorico Elements 3.5 and content installers can be found here: Dorico 3.5 Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

Did you receive an activation code for Dorico Elements 3 or Dorico Elements 3.5?

If it was for Dorico Elements 3 then you should be able to trade it in for a Dorico Elements 3.5 activation code immediately here: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/grace_period.html. If that doesn’t work, let me know!

Thanks, folks, for version 3.5. As always, new features have been added and bugs fixed. I particularly like the pitch before rhythm input feature though there are not many other new features that I was waiting for. I guess you can’t please everyone.

I am puzzled, though, by Paul Walmsley’s comments on pause duration. I can change the symbol used to represent various lengths of pauses but this has no effect whatsoever on the playback. If I adjust the fermata duration in the properties dialogue, it changes shape but not the duration. In fact, fermatas, breath marks and caesuras have absolutely no effect on playback. I would have thought that this feature would have been one of the basic requirements of the program and I am very surprised that it still has not been implemented.

Am I missing something?
Thanks,

I didn’t mention anything about pauses - I was talking about the note length conditions in Expression Maps. Fermatas remain a high priority for a future version, but they are far from trivial to implement.

My mistake, Paul. I thought you were replying to Kalifriki’s post about fermatas. I am glad to know that fermatas are high on the list.

Thanks,