Dorico 3.5 Divisi Condensing Dynamics Issue

I’ve been trying out condensing on divisi string parts, and am running into issues when a divisi is created in the middle of a dynamic marking (e.g. hairpin).

A simple example score is attached. If you look at the example in engrave mode (with condensing enabled), you end up with a duplicated hairpin. As these dynamics are connected (presumably due to the divisi), I can’t find a way to hide the duplicated hairpin.

I’ve played around with various combinations of ungrouping the dynamics / moving the divisi, but haven’t found a way to achieve it without having to alter the music.

This might be a bug/limitation, but any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Condensing Divisi Dynamics.dorico.zip (709 KB)

Welcome to the forum, mw_music. Yes, in general trying to go from divisi to unison or vice versa in the middle of an ongoing item like a hairpin or a slur can lead to unpredictable results, and that’s true whether or not condensing is involved. Hopefully what you will find is that if you move the divisi back a bit to before the start of the hairpin and manually duplicate the little bit of unison music that’s needed across the divisions, this will work more reliably. This kind of thing has been a problem since divisi itself was introduced back in Dorico 2, and it’s sufficiently thorny that we haven’t been able to completely resolve the problem yet, but it’s a high priority for us to fix so that you don’t have to think about this stuff.

Thanks Daniel. Glad to hear this on the priority list :slight_smile:

For now I’ll use the workaround of avoiding divisis in the middle of hairpins/slurs etc., and duplicate the unison bits.