Dorico 3.5 no sound on playback

Hello,

Having now downloaded 3.5 Pro on my computer - thank you Steinberg - I find that when I try to play any of the projects already shown - after being updated in the case of Rameau - there is no sound.

An error message appeared when I closed the program - something like ‘there appears to be a problem with the audio file’. I do remember when uploading the upgrade that there were a number of files shown, including an audio file. Is this where I missed the upgrade for sound ?

Can you help , please ?

Bill

Can you first help by posting here a diagnostic report? From the main menu choose Help > Create Diagnostics Report and attach the corresponding zip file. Then I can give further advice. Thanks

As requested. Thanks

Bill
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (254 KB)

Hi Bill, it appears that you did not install the HALion Symphonic Orchestra library, it’s the big download package, around 9GB. Please grab that and install.

Thank you Ulf - where can I find it ?

Bill

Start up the Steinberg Download Assistant (got installed together with Dorico). In there browse for Dorico 3.5 and download the 9GB package. I’m not sure how it is called, but something with “Sound” in its name.

I have downloaded all of the missing parts - Sounds installer, Version history, and the update, although the last one was not needed. In the case of the Sounds and the Version history, they downloaded successfully. So far so good. I am sorry to have overlooked them.

However, when I tried to play back one of the projects - Rameau - it loaded successfully, but there was still no sound, and still the error message saying that there was an audio file problem.

What do I do now please ?

Bill

How about the other demo projects, are they also silent? And what if you create an own project from template, let’s say a string quartet, and enter some arbitrary notes, does it sound? If not, please attach another diagnostics report. Thanks

Also try going to Play and (re)applying a Playback Template.

Hello, I am afraid it is still not quite right. As suggested, I was able to play (and hear) some of the other projects, but the following errors were displayed - the same as before.:
Some audio files are missing. Please check installation, and
A serious problem has occurred. Please try to save your project under another name and then restart VSTAudioEngine3.exe (I could not find this ). If the problem persists please contact Steinberg Technical Support with a description of the problem and the created file C:\users\Bill\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps\Dorico3.5\AudioEngine 3.1.10.12 64 bit 2029.9.1 8.56.dmp.

Bill
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (263 KB)
Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine 3.1.10.12 64bit 2020.9.1 8.56.dmp (340 KB)

Hi Bill,
first regarding the crash. That one is because HALion Sonic SE (HSSE) is bringing the audio engine down. You have HSSE 3.3 installed but 3.4 is already available. Would you please update and see if you still get crashes?
You can get the latest HSSE via the Steinberg Download Assistant. On the left side choose ‘VST Instrument & Plugins’ and then find ‘HALion Sonic SE 3’. Click on it and then on the right side download ‘HALion Sonic SE 3 - 3.4.0’.

Regarding the missing audio, it still seems that you have not installed the HALion Symphonic Orchestra library. You downloaded that 9 GByte package, right? And you did run the installer as well?
Is on your harddisk the file C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_027_HSO_Presets_01.vstsound ?
And what is in the folder C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound , there should be 72 items in there, how many do you have?

Hello Ulf,
After all of your help, I am now able to hear the project files in my Dorico 3.5 - many thanks after all the downloads and assistance. I can now think about starting to write music and hearing it afterwards in 3.5.

Bill

Hello Ulf, I have the same problem there is no sound for my Dorico 3.5. Could please help? Thank you.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (372.4 KB) I downloaded the Sound installer 9.3G but sound not find the Halion Symphonic Orchestra library. Do I need it? Or I probably should directly go to Version 4 since I am still in 30 days trial period.

Hi @sammlin1122 , thanks for the data, but actually, looking through them everything appears to be fine. The sounds do get recognized, an ASIO driver is selected and output ports detected, i.e. sound should come out via Realtek ASIO|HD Audio output 1\2.
When you play back, does the green cursor line move? What if you create a project from piano template an open the HSSE window (click the e-button in Play Mode), does the Yamaha ES90 piano sound get loaded? What if you click with the mouse on the on-screen keyboard of HSSE, does then sound come out?

Yes. The green cursor line moves when I do the play back, and I can find the ES90 piano keyboard with HSSE window, but if click the mouse on the keyboard, no sound comes out. Thank you for the help.

I use a Dell PC window 10 and can get sound with headphone when watch youtube. There should be a sound card in the PC. which is
Dell OptiPlex 3080 Micro Desktop 2TB SSD 5TB HD 64GB RAM Extreme (Intel Core i9-10900 Processor with Turbo Boost to 5.20GHz, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD + 5 TB HD, Win 10 Pro) PC Business Computer.

Hi @sammlin1122 , if you go to Edit > Device Setup, what ASIO driver is selected there with you and which stereo output ports are shown?

RealTek ASIO HD Audio output 1 and HD Audio output 2 44100 sample rate

@sammlin1122 , then I guess the problem is on Windows side.
On the taskbar is the speaker icon, right click on that and choose ‘Sound Settings’. There choose ‘Device Properties’ for the Realtek, scroll down and then ‘Additioanl Device Properties’. A new little window opens where you choose the ‘Advanced’ tab. What are the settings in there? Is the option ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’ ticked? If so, untick it.