Dorico 3.5 Pro Harp sound?

Am I correct in missing a sound for harp in Dorico 3.5 Pro (Halion Sonic SE)? The program seems to take the sound of an acoustic guitar by default, there’s no harp in the instrument list. Or didn’t I install correctly? Thanks!

1 Like

Well, HSO sounds are… what they are. Many fellow Doricians here use NotePerformer, and for Harp, I like to use the Pianoteq sound. I think you’re right, there’s no real harp sound provided (IIRC).

@MarcLarcher : Thanks you Marc, good to know. Although I find it strange that a program like Dorico doesn’t provide a decent harp. Would you know if and how I could use the Finale sound bank in Dorico (mind you, I’m not an expert on software sounds, though)?

Provided there’s a vst3 or vst2 (but then you probably will have to add it in the whitelist in Preferences>Playback) for that library, Dorico should be able to use it. Look up for expression maps in the forum, Paul Walmsley has made a thread with a whole bunch of Expression maps for different libraries, yours might be there already. The Expression map is the interface between a library and Dorico, it should be set once you have loaded the library in Play mode (right panel), when you click on the cog next to your library name.

The Garritan/Aria player used in Finale comes in multiple variants (for 64-bit, which is now the standard):

The Multi version allows one to assign a different output for each instrument slot.
The Standard player, and a VST3 player not shown here, combine all instrument slots and send them to the Dorico Mixer in channels 1 & 2.

To make the VST2 players available to the VST pull-down list in Play, one needs to give Dorico their location (path) and put them in the Allowed list in the Edit > Preferences > VST Plugins panel.

@Derrek: Thanks for your reply. I see both ARIA players (VST and Multi) in my ‘allowed’ list. How can I make Dorico use these sounds?

Check out this video for the basic procedure.

@dspreadbury : Thanks for your info. I followed the steps of the procedure in the video, but after typing ‘%appdata%/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine_64’ in the ‘Run’ window, I receive an error message: ‘Can’t find the file C:Users\M\AppData\Roaming/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine_64’. There’s neither a Program Files/Steinberg/VSTPlugins folder the procedure is refering at.
The Aria Multi Player however is visible in the VST Instrument window in Dorico’s Play Mode (as the only VST). It produces sound too, but it’s behaviour is strange. For instance, the mixer doesn’t react to any mute or solo settings or volume changes. ?

@Derrek: The ARIA PLayer Multi is now visible in my ‘allowed’ list but behaves weird, like I commented in this topic below: All instruments can be heard but only the Out 1 (the flute in my case) channel shown a signal. Because of that the other mixer channels don’t respond to any mute or solo settings or volume changes. Would you have a clue to what’s going on? Thanks!

When you say “the Mixer,” are you referring to the Dorico Mixer or the Aria Mixer?

The way to show the various slots of the Aria Mixer in the Dorico Mixer requires you to use the Aria Multi Player and to assign each slot to corresponding outputs. If you do not have it, there should be a way to download the Multi version of Aria from MakeMusic or Plogue.

ariaMulti

@Derrek: I meant the Dorico mixer, but I see now that I didn’t use the tiny pulldown lists in the ARIA window. Now that I did, I am able to mix the volume of the seperate instruments and it seems to be working fine. Thanks a lot!

Glad I could help.