Dorico 3 and NotePerformer

Ah, so Arne’s post explains what’s happening. So if you install NotePerformer after unzipping the new files then it’s probably replacing them, so you’ll need to delete the contents of the Dorico 3 directory and unzip the files again.

Hello,
I have followed the installation steps on the sticky, but Note Performer is being blacklisted by Dorico 3 - it works fine with Dorico 2.
From the blacklist file:

This is what I did to make NotePerformer work with Dorico 3:
(1) I followed the instructions to upload the zip files and unpack them into the following path:

(2) I opened Dorico 3 and selected a piece from the sample list (the program updated it from Dorico 2)
(3) Under Write–>Edit–>Device Setup I checked that the Stereo Output correction listed my speakers or headphone; it didn’t, so I selected Device Control Panel, checked the correct sound output mode, and clicked Close
(4) I clicked Play–>Edit–>Preferences–>Play and ensure the Device Playback Template said NotePerformer, then clicked Close
(5) I clicked Play again, and on the upper right-hand side of the screen ensured that VST Instruments said NotePerformer (NOT NotePerformer64)
(6) Then I began playing the piece and, voila, it worked!

I cannot guarantee this will work for everyone, but it did for me and I just followed a logical path to get what I wanted. If you try this and it works (or doesn’t) please let us know. Also, if you find a better way, do this as well.

Thanks,
Wally

If you delete the blacklist file and restart Dorico, does that help?

I’m thinking that maybe there was a random error here.

Ok. I uninstalled NotePerformer, deleted the Dorico 3 folder, then reinstalled NotePeformer and copied the files from the zip. But I have the same problem. This is on a completely different Surface Pro 3. My original attempt with the same results was on my Surface Pro 5. There seems to be some incompatibility with the Surface Pro audio and NotePerformer playback with Dorico 3.

Dorico 3 works fine with NotePerformer on my Mac Book and on a Dell Precision 5530
steinbergprogramdata.zip (1.57 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (319 KB)

From the log files this looks like progress. I can see that the Dorico 3/NP config files are in the right place and that it’s offering the option to switch to the NP playback template. I can see that the audio engine has found and accepted the NotePerformer plugin, however for some reason it hasn’t managed to get the summary information from it and so it’s not loading correctly.

So please try ensuring Dorico and the audio engine are closed, deleting the %APPDATA%\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine3_64 directory and then starting Dorico again.

Hi,

Thank you,

No, this doesn’t help - I have deleted the whole VSTAudioEngine3_64 folder as well and tried again, but still the same thing. It ends up in the blacklist file.

I did this and have a similar situation to the message from Thordaine, I am seeing NotePerformer in the blacklist file. Deleting the blacklist file does not solve the problem. Deleting the VSTAudioEngine3_64 results in the same thing the next time.

I’ve recently upgraded to Dorico 3 and I’m blown out of the water, yet again, by this amazing team and software! I have to say, though, that for some reason I can’t get NotePerformer to playback correctly. I’ve already followed the instructions on the sticky thread (thrice, just for thoroughness) and I still can’t seem to get sound to play back. I tried Daniel’s suggestion of switching back to HSSE+HSO (Pro) Playback Template, which does produce sound on playback, but then I can’t get back to the NotePerformer playback (there not being any available). Older files will playback some instruments, but not all, and new files won’t play back at all. What am I missing here?

Are you on Windows or Mac, Rodgrigo? Have you reinstalled NotePerformer in an effort to fix the problem? If so, that will actually be the cause of the problem, and you need to follow the steps in the sticky thread again without running the NotePerformer installer again.

Hi Daniel! I’m on a Mac. No, I didn’t try to reinstall NotePerformer. It hadn’t occurred to me.

I’ve just figured out what actually happened: When I put the zip folder from the sticky thread into a newly-created Dorico 3 folder in the prescribed location in my Finder, I ended up (unknowingly) with a Dorico 3 folder within my Dorico 3 folder. I eliminated one of the two Dorico 3 folders so that there was only one of them and directly under it the folders you mentioned in the sticky thread. That solved it!

Thanks and sorry for the trouble, Daniel! On to enjoy this wonderful new instalment of Dorico Pro!

Yeah, as I said in another thread somewhere, Paul’s instructions about unzipping the folder on Windows can be interpreted two ways, and you picked the wrong one.