Dorico 3 - new MIDI Thru feature (SOLVED!)

I just wanted to follow up on Daniel’s post in this thread where he stated:
“Run a stand-alone piano VST instrument alongside Dorico that is listening to your MIDI input, and disable MIDI thru in Dorico’s preferences. Then you’ll get no sounds echoed by Dorico for notes you play on your keyboard, but you’ll still hear a piano sound, and you’ll get the full-fat playback experience when playing back.”

This is documented on pg 59 of the Dorico 3.0 Version History pdf. I’ve been trying this and can’t seem to get it to work with either Aria (Garritan) or EW Play. With the standalone player open, I don’t get the little green light in the bottom right corner of the Dorico window that I usually do, so Dorico is apparently not receiving the MIDI signal. Has anyone been able to successfully do MIDI note input into Dorico in Windows 10 with a standlone VST player open at the same time? Is there a trick in Windows to allow both Dorico and a standalone player to receive the MIDI data? Thanks!

You might need a virtual MIDI cable on Windows, so that MIDI arrives at your standalone plug-in, then passes through from there to Dorico, at which point if you switch off the ‘Enable MIDI thru’ option in Preferences, you shouldn’t hear the sounds echoed back to you as you play.

Hmm, I’m still not figuring it out. There are several other virtual MIDI cables available to download so I’ll try again later this evening. Can anyone else get it to work?

Not all virtual MIDI cables and ports work the same way.

Some try to emulate physical midi cables where each cable has two separate “end connectors” and there is one-directional data transfer between then.

Others simply give you a collection of “ports.” You can connect as many devices as you like to either send to or receive from each port, and they all receive everything that any of them sends (with some heuristics to prevent feedback loops generating an infinite number of MIDI messages).

FWIW I use loopMIDI | Tobias Erichsen which is the “port” variety - no problems on Windows 10.

Sorry to be such a MIDI moron (MIDIdiot?), but I still cannot figure this out. I downloaded LoopMIDI from the link above, and created separate MIDI ports for Dorico and a VST standalone. I think what I need to do, is take the MIDI data that my controller is sending to my PC via the USB cable, and route it to both those ports simultaneously, correct? Or do I have the basic conception of this wrong?

Both Dorico and a VST standalone currently can only receive MIDI data from the MIDI Input port from my controller, and in Windows 10 this is only 1 program at a time. Do I need some sort of virtual MIDI router/splitter than can take the MIDI signal from the controller and send it to the newly created MIDI ports simultaneously? Or am I going about this all wrong? Thanks for any advice!

I would expect you to be able to route MIDI in to your VST stand-alone, then take MIDI thru to Dorico, but I’ve not configured any of these devices myself for years. I’ll try to find the time to do this on a Windows machine here in the next few days and report back, but I have a lot of other things to work on right now, I’m afraid.

SOLVED! I used the LoopMIDI program Rob linked to above to create the ports, then MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/) to route the MIDI input to my newly created ports. It looks like I need to leave MIDI-OX running in the background to keep everything routed correctly, but this does work!