Dorico 3 playback pegging one processor

Hello all,

Just starting to dig into v.3, which looks great so far. However, I am seeing odd behavior on playback. As soon as I start playback, CPU 8 gets pegged at 100% and doesn’t go back down until playback starts. Noticed this with a new file I created in v.3. I loaded a file created in v.2.2, same thing happens. Does not happen when I open the same file in v.2.2, and never saw that behavior in previous versions. This is on a very robust music-only workstation built on an i9-7900X which has been rock solid.

Thanks,
Chester

I wonder whether this thread might offer an explanation? Or possibly it’s the video engine, as described in this thread.

Hi Daniel - thanks for the quick reply! Deleting the video engine fixed it instantly. I had created a test document with a single note and 32 bars of rest. Even with the silence playback template enabled, it would peg CPU 8 the instant I hit play and return to normal as soon as I hit stop. Now even a normal file shows all 20 logical CPUs barely budging, as they should :slight_smile: Happy to send system info if helpful.

Cheers,
Chester

Thanks, Chester, hopefully the video engine team will get a handle on this problem soon and be able to provide us with an updated version with performance characteristics similar to the version we used in Dorico 2. We’ll let you know if we need any more data from you.