Dorico 3 won't recognize PLAY 6 (which should be VST3?)

Is that “is32bit” flag relevant? Something to do with the upcoming 32-bit phaseout in Mac OSX Catalina? (I’m using Mojave.)

Yes, I believe they are using different versions of the VST plug-in sentinel, because the audio engine components generally have been updated since Dorico 2’s release.

FWIW, I have Play 6.1.0 installed and on Windows I’m able to load it, so I wonder if this is a mac only issue?

Daniel, should I take this question to another part of the Steinberg support universe? It sounds like it may not be an issue with Dorico per se.

No, you should please continue to wait patiently, if you can. Ulf is looking into the issues with plug-ins being blacklisted by the audio engine.

Oh great. I didn’t know whether this was something you were able to actively investigate.

It’s not something I’m personally able to actively investigate, but we’re collectively on the case. We’re also on the case of lots of other issues. You as users outnumber us by thousands to one, so you have to give us a chance to catch up with you.

I don’t know how you (even splitting the job between yourself, Ulf, and Paul) manage even to read all these posts. I’ve been at it for over two hours this morning and have yet to catch up. Reading the posts are in many ways helpful for my understanding the new release, but I can only imagine how much time this must be taking your team during the day and well into the weekends and the night.

Thank you!

THIS.

The few times that I’ve required their assistance using Dorico (I’ve been a customer since the first release), I’ve been shocked when the guys have somehow found the time to respond (which was every time another user wasn’t able to help me). By day, I’m the lead engineer on a very popular Internet security SDK, so I get complaints and help requests from other engineers (many of them big brains at major corporations) constantly. I know how rough it can be.

I can think only that, like me, they must love their jobs.

Indeed, you are right Milo, we love our job. :slight_smile:

Hi MichealGordonShapiro, would you please have a look at this posting Computer für Audioanwendungen - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums
and follow the same instruction to manually invoke the vstscanner?
That would help greatly to find out if it is the same issue as it is with Kontakt or UVI on Mac.
If you also get output like “Killed: 9”, then please answer in that other thread, because then it is the same issue.
If not, pleas answer here.
Thanks

Yeah, I got the Killed 9 result. I’ll follow up in that thread.

Thanks! I’m also having the same problem so it is good to hear that you are working on it! Loving the new features! All best, Kevin

Just to check, you are also on Mac? And have you tried the procedure from the linked other thread?

I’m having the same problem as well and tried the above solutions to no avail. I’ve attached the diagnostics from Dorico 3 (running on MacOS 10.14.5).

Meanwhile, Play works fine for me in Dorico 2.2.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (646 KB)

Hello Play and UVI users,

I’m happy to announce that we have found the cause of the issue.

With 10.14 Apple introduced System Integrity Protection.
Part of this protection is, that every app and bundle need to be code signed in order to get executed.

UVIWorkstation is code signed, but must have got modified after the signing procedure, so the code signature is wrong.
Our vstscanner runs in that protected environment and when loading UVIWorkstation the wrong code signature gets detected and consequently bails out.
Therefore UVIWorkstation ends up on the blacklist and will not get shown in Dorico.

So for a proper fix UVI has to properly code sign their plug-in bundle.
We will get in touch with UVI and notify them about it.

There were reports about Aria Play also not loading in Dorico.
I downloaded the latest version of Play and that works fine here, so I assume that affected people are on an older version of Play.
Please do an update to the latest version.

If you can’t wait for a fix from UVI, there is a workaround, but it is a bit risky, so we can’t officially announce the workaround here.
Should you still want to know that workaround, send a mail to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’ and I will provide you with further information.

By the way, here the answer from UVI support:
“This behaviour is related to PACE which is used by UVI products, and it seems it will be fixed out with next PACE updates hopefully.”

Thanks for your work, Ulf!

Unfortunately, I was already running the latest version of Play (6.1.3) — to no avail. I tried upgrading to MacOS 10.4.6. That also made no difference. Nor did trashing the VSTaudioengine3 folder. Play keeps getting blacklisted.

Hi Ulf,

Your solution seems to pertain to UVI, but my original post was about East West Play. (I don’t know what “Aria Play” is.)

I am already using the latest version of Play, so updating is not the answer.

Does the System Integrity Protection issue also pertain to the problems Dorico 3 has with Play? Otherwise could you please move the UVI discussion to another thread?

Yes, it does. Please read #36 again.