Dorico 30-Day Free Trial Extension?

Berklee does still standardise on Finale as its notation software of choice, because there is a long-standing arrangement between Berklee and MakeMusic that means Finale is included in the package that new students get when they enrol at the college.

However, things do change over time. As Dan already mentioned in this thread, the film scoring programme at Berklee is now based around Cubase, while other departments in the college still use (I believe) Logic. I think there is at least the possibility that the film scoring programme will be using Dorico in future, particularly if we are successful in bringing Dorico and Cubase closer together (which is our plan).

I think it’s also worth considering that unless you walk out of Berklee and immediately land a big movie, TV or video game gig, chances are you will start your professional life working in a team where you may not have direct decision-making power over what tool you use. If everybody else working on the project is using Logic, and not Cubase, or Finale, and not Dorico, chances are you’ll have to use the same tools as the other people in the team, or not get the gig. So it’s a good idea to develop a proficiency with as many of the tools of the trade as you can, since a wider base of skills will make you more employable in more situations.

I can provide you with an extended trial for Dorico, Ian, if John hasn’t already done so. Just drop me a direct message here on the forum if that would be helpful.

1 Like

In the same vein, if you’re the only one on the team (often it’s only a one-person operation in smaller projects, anyway), you can decide what tools are best for you!

Does that mean that once Ian reaches Berklee and gets his package, he can turn around and apply for a crossgrade + education discount on Dorico? :laughing:

(Of course Berklee might move to Dorico in the two years between now and then anyway.)

1 Like

So would it be smart to get both Finale and Dorico down the line? Also John did provide another trial fortunately, thanks though!

Many professional engravers (most?) need to have at least a working knowledge of multiple notation programs.

1 Like

I’d also say from personal experience that working in one notation software can actually improve your ability to work in a different one too, from picking up different approaches and techniques etc. At least, learning Dorico meant that I look back at my old use of Sibelius very differently! And made me smarter when I do go back. One downside though can be key command confusion when switching between software etc.

I know that twenty-plus years of work-arounds in Finale help me envision work-arounds in Dorico when I have to.

It’s true that almost everything can be manually tweaked in Finale – and I’ve been doing that for at least thirty years. In my opinion, everything in Finale has to be tweaked, because the results - without tweaking - are often terrible.

I agree with dankreider’s assessment of MakeMusic’s (lack of) direction, and Finale’s long, slow demise. It’s really a shame, because Finale was a great achievement, that deserved much better treatment than it received from those who bought and sold it over the years. It built up a base of intelligent, gifted users, which it then, sadly, often betrayed.

1 Like

Well, they are living up to their name, in a sense then. :wink:

Sad but true. . .