Dorico 4.2 suddenly running slowly on Windows

Tried your suggestion, but this doesn’t help either.
Removing the 32 bit directories resulted in no connection to VE Pro, so had to add and rescan this folder again for it to work. This works again now, but unfortunately still no luck with playback. VE Pro is receiving the message to play as I can see the play button lightens up, but it immediately stops again, so something must be blocking the command to be executed. If I click on a note I can hear the instrument, so the connection is working.
Attached you will find a new Dorico diagnostics report.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (3.0 MB)

I created a new project from the Hub (piano solo) and now playback does work. Once importing the data from the faulty project, playback doesn’t work anymore. :thinking:
What on earth is wrong here…

Did you set up playback in your original project using a playback template? If so, it would be worth trying to reapply that playback template, perhaps to a copy of the project.

Could you please send me the faulty project to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de? Thanks

Thanks Daniel and Ulf for chiming in on sunday, that’s highly appreciated.
I decided to copy all music to the new project staff by staff and now playback works again.

@Ulf: I will email you the faulty project, fingers crossed this shows where it went wrong.

Thanks for the project @Menno_Bosgra . Least to say, it also behaves the same strange way here with me, though I don’t have a clue, yet, why it is going wrong. I need to take a further look tomorrow.
But good to hear that you are up and running with a copied project. I hope that one does not get corrupted again…

Hello Ulf, thanks for looking into it this quick. Good to know that it is the file and not my pc, although I don’t know if my pc caused this or not. I would love to hear it if you are able to sort out what caused the file to behave like this.

Hi Menno, sure I will let you know. I have one question though: When I open the project there is only 1 Kontakt instance, in Play Mode in the VST Rack though there are two slots for VSTinstruments, the first one is empty and the second one is Kontakt. Now how about the first empty slot, did there used to be HALion Sonic SE at an earlier stage? Did you remove it deliberately or what can you tell me about that empty slot? Thanks

I think VE Pro was hosted there. As I switched playback templates, everything was cleared and I can’t see it anymore, but I’m pretty sure it had an instance of VE Pro.

EDIT: checked a previous version of the file and it indeed hosts VE Pro in the first slot.

It turned out that Menno’s project does not play back because of an invalid project time code position that was caused by a “meno mosso” marking that had a wrong value. It’s still not clear though, how that value could become invalid.

1 Like

Thanks Ulf, It’s impressive that you found this, I was totally stuck (literally), luckily I was able to finish the project in time.
I would like to say that Dorico support is really great, you guys keep trying to find out what could be wrong, trying to help costumers, it’s really appreciated.

2 Likes