Dorico 4.2 suddenly running slowly on Windows

This week Dorico became really slow all of a sudden. Entering notes, selecting passages, adding dynamics et cetera is taking seconds to get even started. Entering notes is sloppy, so Dorico is wy behind showing what I’ve entered compared to where I am, so to speak.
I couldn’t find anything in this topic that worked, so I thought to give it a try and see if someone knows a solution. To be sure I’ve attached the diagnostics report.
I use a windows 11 system, i8700, 64GB Ram, SSD, latest updates, so Dorico is on 4.2.
Looking forward to receive some tips.
Forgot to tell: I uninstalled and re-installed Dorico, but this didn’t make any difference.
What I see now is that all plug-ins are listed twice. In the designated folders they are all visible one by one, but the VST list in Dorico shows all of them twice.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (3.1 MB)

How are you entering notes? Are you playing in MIDI, using MIDI step time, or adding pitches via the laptop/desktop keyboard? That info might be helpful.

Thanks for replying.
I’m entering notes using a midi keyboard, Native Instruments S88 MKI in my case. Never had any issues doing it this way, until a few days ago. Please note that it’s not only entering notes; every action I wwant Dorico to perform is slow, which makes it frustrating having to wait after every click I do.

If you start a brand new project with a single instrument, e.g. piano, and start inputting notes there, do you find that Dorico is equally slow in that project, or is the slowness confined to the current project you’re working on?

I don’t see any improvement, but that’s maybe because the project I was working on only had piano and cello, attached to one single instance of VE pro
A symphonic score earlier this week became so sluggish that is was nearly unworkable. So I guess you can say the size of the project does matter.
I must add to this that everything seeemed to start after I installed the latest update of VE pro (tuesday), but I rolled back that one to the previous version, which unfortunately didn’t improve anything.

1 Like

If you change the playback template to Dorico’s built-in one, e.g. HSSE+HSO (Pro), does that improve the responsiveness, or make no difference?

I think that’s already the selected one, but can’t check right now as the pc is performing a memory test

No memory failures and I performed a hardware test as well, showing there are no hardware issues, so luckily that’s eliminated.

Now, Dorico is really slow at opening this small project I’m working on, but also when starting a new project from scratch. Opening a menu item like playback techniques takes about 10 seconds to be performed, in the meantime the window says “Dorico does not respond”. This also happens on autosave (Dorico stalling), quitting takes a really long time and before the hub shows up again is also a long wait.
Not sure what to do, maybe clear the Dorico cache, but I don’t know how to do that. Also the double VST plug-ins in the list do bother me.

Playback template in this small project is indeed HSSE+HSO (Pro).

Could you please open the project you’re currently working on, and do a couple of operations that seem particularly slow, then without first quitting the application, do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach a fresh set of diagnostics to a reply here?

Hi Daniel,

I see you split the topic, that’s indeed better as it is for 4.2, my issue.
Anyway, please find the .zip in the attachment, I hope you find some info in it

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (3.1 MB)

I don’t know if you had the time today to look into this issue and found something in the .zip, but
I’m pretty sure that the playback engine is involved somehow. As soon as I want to add a new playing technique (using the + sign in the right column under strings f.e…) Dorico takes forever to perform all the actions needed. Other actions like described above are slow, but this last one is absolutely the slowest one, by far.

We’ve not yet had a chance to look into the logs in detail. My colleagues will take a look next week.

Today Dorico was laggy at first, but like earlier this week all of a sudden this changed, fortunately in a good way as Dorico became fast and responsive again like it was before.
BUT, now I can’t start playback anymore; when I select a note and press P, the green playback line shows, but after that it simply stops. At first it jumped to flow 2 in my project, which I deleted, as it was empty, but this didn’t help. Same for commands like start from beginning of flow, last playback position and so on. Quitting and restarting doesn’t help, so it’s needless to say Dorico is driving me nuts at the moment. Mostly because I have to finish a project by Tuesday and send it to the director, but also because I can’t figure out why Dorico is behaving so unpredictable.
Just to be sure I’ve enclosed a new diagnostics.zip, maybe this will shed some light on this weird behavior.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (3.3 MB)

In Edit/Device Setup, what do you have selected as your ASIO Driver? What is the sample rate you have selected? If you go to Windows Settings then to System/Sound and click your output device, what is the sample rate specified? Does it match the rate selected in Dorico? In Windows/Sound scroll down to Advanced/More Sound Settings. In the Window that pops up, select your output device and click Properties. In the Advanced tab, do you have “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” checked? If so, uncheck it.

You may have VST2 and VST3 plug-ins showing up. The VST3 versions will show automatically so there’s no need to have the VST2 versions appear as well. In Preferences/VST Plug-ins/Allowed VST2 Plug-ins, block all the VST2 plug-ins that are appearing doubled. That should allow the VST3 version to appear and not be doubled.

I can’t check: Dorico won’t start at all now.
Please note that I had no issues for months, I didn’t change anything in the device setup, so it would be very odd if this would have worked for months and now all of a sudden cause problems.

Either reboot, or in Task Manager close Dorico and the VST Audio Engine, and try again. In any case, you should be able to check those relevant Windows settings regardless. If the cursor won’t start playback at all, it’s definitely possible that another application is monopolizing your soundcard/DAC so unchecking that setting may fix that if it is currently checked.

Hi @Menno_Bosgra , FredGUnn gave very good advice.

Dorico’s green play cursor not moving is usually caused by other applications changing the sample rate of your audio device. It’s best if you set all your audio applications to use the same sample rate.

Regarding the plug-ins, as FredGUnn mentions, prune out the doubled VST2 plug-ins, as you don’t need them. Also, review your VST2 search paths. Make sure only paths are searched that are really needed. E.g. you point also at 32 bit plugs, which is useless, because Dorico can only handle 64bit plug-ins. So after reviewing this, I expect faster startup times with you.

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies, it’s highly appreciated.

After a reboot I could start Dorico again and checked its settings based on above tips.
Regarding the audio settings: everything is okay in terms of setup: no exclusive use, sample rates are the same in Windows and Dorico and output is routed to the right device. I didn’t have to make any changes here.

I’ve blocked all VST2 plug-ins and removed the paths from the settings.

Unfortunately until now, no change in behavior

So you still have no playback, the play cursor still stuck?
Can you please provide a new diagnostics report?

Edit: And did you try the old trick? Go to Edit > Device Setup and change the sample rate to another value, wait for 5 seconds and change it back to the previous sample rate. After closing the dialog, does then playback do?