Dorico 4 and Audio engine - fails to start up

The terminal window just said:
[Command not found: app/Contents/Applications/VSTAudioEngine5.app/Contents/MacOS/VSTAudioEngine5]

[Could not create a new process and open a pseudo-tty.]

Here’s a crash report:
VSTAudioEngine5_2022-01-12-105516_larrance-fingerhuts-macbook-pro.crash.zip (28.2 KB)

Hi @lafin , in your case it is Groove Agent SE.
Please go to /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/ and find in there Groove Agent SE and move it e.g. to your desktop. Then try again with Dorico.

1 Like

Hi @Chewy_Papadopoulos , but again, all those crash files point at Eucon.
Please delete all audio engine crash files on your machine and then try again and post the one that then gets generated, to make sure it is really the latest.
And also please check again, that the eucon61.bundle is not in the in the Library path anymore.
Thanks.

Make sure to not drag it out normally, but with (I think) cmd pressed down. You should be prompted to enter your admin password for moving files out of the library. Else it will just copy.
(That’s what did it for me)

1 Like

Removing Groove Agent SE did the trick. Thank you for your help. I’m sure you’re having a busy day and I really appreciate your willingness to help.
BTW, when I tried dragging the Groove file to the desktop it insisted on merely copying. I had to force trash it. I then copied that to my desktop.
Do I need to keep this at all?
Thanks again.

@lafin , you are welcome. Well, it’s up to you to decide if you want to keep Groove Agent or not. At the moment it’s of no use for you, because it will stop Dorico from running. If you do want to use it, you need to wait for a Groove Agent update that is compatible with Dorico anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion-- I had done just that. First copied it (just in case) and then deleted, with the whole password process.

Still have the problem.

Chewy

Ulf,

You did it!

Got rid of that other eucon bundle and it started up. Thank you!

Now I’m guessing that my MC Control (if I ever actually got it working again :wink: )won’t have what it needs to run, but that is not an issue for me now.

Thank you!

Chewy

1 Like

I downloaded the trial version of Dorico 4 on M1 Mac, Monterey 12.5 a few days ago, and now it’s freezing when I try to launch it.

I saw various messages on the frozen launch screen. This was one of them:

I went to ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg, and there isn’t a Components directory there, just these:

Activation Manager
Content
Dorico 4
Download Assistant

I looked at the shell script from this post and ran some of the commands manually to clear out any preferences and caches. These are the files/dirs that I moved:

~/Library/Application\ Support/Steinberg/Dorico/preferences.xml
~/Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine
~/Library/Preferences/Dorico
~/Library/Caches/Dorico

(diagnosticsettings.ini didn’t exist.)

After doing that and trying to relaunch Dorico, the message changed to this:

I can upload log files if there is a private way to do it. I see some personal information in some of the logs, like username and owned plugins, that I would prefer to not publish.

I think the problem started when I tried to create a new score, probably with command+n. It asked me something about plugins and playback. I said “yes”, not really understanding. Then it froze and I haven’t been able to launch it since then. I did download 10 GB of plugins with the download manager, but they are in the default location in ~/Downloads, and I’m not sure how to use them.

Welcome to the forum, @guitarj. Sorry to hear you’ve been having problems getting Dorico to start. It sounds as if the VSTAudioEngine process is not quitting cleanly on your system. Can you try running Activity Monitor and quitting the Dorico, VSTAudioEngine and Steinberg License Engine processes, then try running Dorico again? You should find that it starts up properly.

It would be a good idea to check what version of Steinberg Activation Manager you have installed on your Mac: make sure it’s version 1.3.1 (the current version at the time of writing).

1 Like

Thanks it’s working again. In the meantime I had rebooted, which must have cleared out those processes. I had tried stopping all the programs multiple times before, but I was using the “force quit” window. I’m still new to Mac and didn’t think about the Activity Monitor.

Yes, it’s necessary to use Activity Monitor rather than the Force Quit Applications window because neither VSTAudioEngine nor Steinberg License Engine will appear in the Force Quit Applications window.

Do let us know if this problem recurs. If it does, you can do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and send the diagnostics to me directly by email at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de. You can be assured that we will delete any information you send us after we have used it to troubleshoot your problem.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m looking forward to testing out the program. Looks great so far. :slight_smile: