Dorico 4 Blank Mixer, instrument not playing and missing chord names issues

Hi,

I just upgraded to Dorico 4.0.10, Have had a few issues with the Mixer window being blank when I first access it. It seems to fix itself after a couple of attempts or going to the Play window not the Write window.

Another weird thing was that the left half of slash chords was missing. This is with files that I have imported from Dorico 3.5 which have never behaved in this way.

And lastly, one instrument will not play back. at all It makes a sound if I click on a note in the write window but wont play back. If I look in the window where you can adjust drum maps and playback styles (sorry I don’t know the name) it shows that no instrument is loaded. I am stumped.

I found the announcement about the update to 4.0.20 hoping this would rectify things. However the download fails shortly before being fully downloaded. Again I never had these errors previously.

My System is as follows but it has been running hitch free for at least a year. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers, Tom

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MOTHERSHIP
System Manufacturer ASUS
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3003, 4/12/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.3
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product Pro WS X570-ACE
BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume5
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = 10.0.19041.1566
User Name MOTHERSHIP\User
Time Zone AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 16.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 41.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 18.9 GB
Page File Space 10.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Update.
Restarted my system. Re-installed Dorico.
The Chord display issue seems to be resolved as has the Mixer not showing any channels but I still have instrument not playing issue. No change, if I click on a note I hear it but there is no playback.
Suggestions please.

Cheers, Tom

I’m glad you were able to make some progress with your issues, Tom.

If you show the Mixer before the project is fully activated for playback (i.e. before the play button on the toolbar becomes enabled and turns green), then it will indeed be blank at that point, because the output channels etc. presented by the VST instruments in use are not yet known.

The font problem you had is a standard font cache issue, and restarting is the remedy.

The problem you’re having with one of your instruments not playing back: this affects just one project, I assume? If so, please try going to Play > Playback Template and try re-applying the default playback template, HSSE+HSO (Pro), and see if that fixes things. If not, please attach the project here, and let us know which instrument doesn’t sound for you.

Thanks Daniel,
I am pretty sure that I didn’t activate the Mixer before the instruments were loaded as I had been working on the score and then decided to listen back and balance the instruments. This has never happened before and seems like a new phenomenon in Dorico 4. I will keep monitoring and see if it happens again. I am aware of the green status of the payback button.

I will try your suggestion re the Playback template and let you know. And, yes you are correct that it is only one project that is affected. However at this stage I have only opened about 5 projects.

It worked! Many thanks!