Dorico 4 First Steps guide published (English and translations)

Today we have published a new version of the First Steps guide, updating it to match functionality in Dorico 4 (on the desktop) as well as adding in a few extra clarifications and one whole new topic, based on user feedback.

As before, on the landing page for this version of the guide, you will find:

• The First Steps guide, as PDF and webhelp versions (Edit April 2023: translations in German, Japanese, French, and Italian are now available)
  • A Zip file called “Piano Piece Resources”, containing a PDF of the piano piece for reference and a Dorico project of the completed, but not yet formatted, piano piece – suitable for starting the “Laying out and formatting pages” chapter from
  • A Zip file called “Blues Song Resources”, containing a PDF of the blues song excerpt and a Dorico project set up for you to start the “Further notations” chapter from

This is now the version linked on the landing pages for each of the Dorico 4 desktop help pages (Pro, Elements, and SE).

We hope this is a welcome update for all new Dorico users, especially those who have joined us recently as part of the Dorico 4 cycle :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Thank you Lillie! I’ve also noticed (as usual) a small update of the English Manual (21 Feb 1782pp) :wink:

1 Like

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the updated first step manual for Dorico 4. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet :slight_smile: but I’m looking forward diving in and exploring the new features and functionalities.

1 Like

I’m curious about what “new topic” is now included in the guide. Otherwise, thanks for your efforts!—it is great that new users will be able to use your marvelous guide without the possibility of getting confused by UI updates in Dorico 4.

(I compared the Table of Contents for D3.5 and D4 and see the new topic is “Looking at the parts” @ p. 103, the last topic under “Further Notations”.)

Thank you @Steven_Leys and welcome to the forum! I hope that if you’re also new to Dorico, you’re settling in well. Always feel free to come back to the forum to ask questions as and when you have them.

1 Like

@Mike_999 that’s right, a user on here a little while ago expressed enough confusion about how parts work, and what will and won’t affect the score when working in them, that I realised that yes, the First Steps guide really didn’t do enough to outline this clearly.

There are also expanded/additional explanations about the logic behind key commands, that tokens are required to exist on pages in order to show the corresponding information from Project Info, and that you can use the caret to input things like dynamics in the middle of ties.

5 Likes

Thanks, Lillie!

Thank you, Lillie! I stopped asking for help on here while I, instead, went through the First Steps - Part 1, tutorial. It taught me a LOT; enough that when certain steps didn’t work in Dorico for iPad (full subscription version), I was able to find or figure out alternative solutions on my own. So, thank you for teaching me lots of Dorico fundamentals! Writing music on an electronic device has never been this easy and fun. KUDOS to you for all the work you’ve put in to create the First Steps learning tool!!!
I’m going to go through the version 4 update next. The practice will do me good, even if it’s not changed much. Because of all the ornaments used in First Steps (Thank you, Bach!), I purchased the Berklee book on Contemporary Music Notation by Jonathan Feist. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks. LOL
Thanks, Lillie, Daniel, and ALL who worked on First Steps!!! Your hard work really paid off for me.

4 Likes

Update on Dorico 4 First Steps: translations in German, Japanese, French, and Italian are now available.

I’ve also written a little summary of the guide’s provenance for the Dorico blog, along with embedded videos of John’s Discover sessions on the original 3.5 guide.

5 Likes