Dorico 4 sound variation request

Hi,
I will be very happy if Dorico team, will do sound variation (like presonus studio one) instead of expression map.
I think expression map is cool, but if you want to do an expression map with library like vsl, it will be a pain.
So I think do a system like sound variation in studio one (in studio one it will do automatically mapping e.g. vsl library and east west library) will be very cool .
so you can write what you want in write mode and then program your own sound variation…
any chance to see that in the near future?
I hope!

Actually VSL provides us with existing expression maps (which is way further most of what companies do…)

I don’t know what sound variations offer as a benefit. Can you elaborate for us users who don’t know that program (Studio one)

Take a look At this video…
That would be great if integrated in Dorico 4

1 Like

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/News/VSL_StudioOne

Nice, but Dorico is a notation program, not a DAW… How would expect these patch selections to be notated?

For me it was better if you could write what you want in write mode… Then in the key editor assign every note At any sound variation you want… Just Like in studio one… Dorico Is near a daw now

It looks like you’d have to write “pizz.” into the score, and then assign the correct sound variation to each note manually?
Expression Maps do this automatically… :thinking:
But I must confess I watched very little of that video…

B.

Yes… I think it s better.
Because some lybraries Like vsl, have so much articulation that it s i possible to assing to symbol… So expression map are fine for Basic articulation, but for get more deep sound variation I think IS better

I think I can clarify a few things regarding how such a thing would theoretically work, as Cubase has support for this feature.

The way it works in Cubase is that this feature acts as basically an automatic expression map builder - you choose an import button, and it instantly generates an expression map containing all the techniques and keyswitches without manual work being needed. In Studio One it does something similar, except it also updates on the fly the moment you change a mapping between a technique and a keyswitch.

Dorico could theoretically do something similar, but there are some additional challenges getting this easily translated to notation software as the techniques could be named whatever the sample library creator decided and so you would need to use a text matching algorithm to recognize what techniques they were for. It is different in a DAW because you can have techniques with any arbitrary name you want and they do not have to link up with a pre-existing playback technique. It also doesn’t work so well when you start to include things like CC’s and velocity for dynamic/expression/attack - this is in expression maps too, and you wouldn’t want this to be replaced if you were to re-generate the expression map after making some keyswitch changes. In a DAW, this is not a consideration, as there is generally no need to include handling of dynamic/expression/attack in the expression map as you are creating all CC’s by hand and putting all velocities in manually.

Also, this solution is only of value for exchanging keyswitches. Some libraries like Spitfire libraries can use a special CC for changing articulations, and this has some significant advantages compared to using keyswitches. Unfortunately, the implementation of this standard appears to have been somewhat short-sighted and it only supports detecting keyswitches at the moment rather than other possible means of selecting the articulation.

2 Likes

Yes I understand.
But for me, write mode should be write mode only… And Take adventage of play mode, a unique thing of dorico in notation program, to change articulation.

At The end play mode in Dorico Is Like a small DAW.

I thing it IS not possible or At least very unconfortable, create a large number of playng technic to swtitch articulation.

So I thing that try to create a feature Like sound variation would let us do great mock up inside a notation program…
Hope I have been Clear on My Point of wiew

If I understood correctly, the same thing could be done using articulation and playing techniques in Dorico. If Dorico development team or virtual instrument companies invest their time to officially provide a set of predefined playing technique popovers, it would be great.

Yes but At the end you will have the score full of symbols… And for sure some of these has to be hidden…
So I still prefer sound variation… A clean score, and a key editor full of possibilities…

That seems pretty much par for the course for a notation program; changes show by default and if one wants them hidden, one hides them.

While I might even use such a capability if provided, adding such changes to individual notes or groups of note seems to require equally minute detail work as hiding existing symbols.

Yes ok… But… Try to do a expression map for a full preset Like vsl solo string will be a pain!

It doesn’t make sense to create an new system to basically do the same thing as expression maps. I think it can potentially make sense to use this solution to automate the building of expression maps (or updates to expression maps) in the same way Cubase does. You can always hide the techniques if you don’t want them to show in the score.

I think asking the developers to implement a second system that basically duplicates the first system, except only works in play mode, is a non-starter.

3 Likes

You can also hide playing techniques which you would like to hide.