Dorico 4 Vst M1 not showing up

Hello !

I searched for this issue but can’t seem to find it.

I am a daily user of Dorico 3.5 and I’m trying Dorico 4 demo right now. I have an M1 mac. When I run through Rosetta, all the vst I whitelisted are showing up. Also the menu for said whitelisting in the VST tab in preference shows up. But when I run it natively, some plugins do not show up. Specifically UVI Workstation and others. UVI workstation is now Native so there should not be any problems. The menu for whitelisting VSTs do not show up in preference (in native). Also even more strangely, the whitelist file I edited in the library folder on my mac (according to the procedure you listed in a video and on the help pages) was copied automatically from Dorico 3.5 to Dorico 4 when I installed it. Even more strange is that I remade the whitelisting manipuilation in the Dorico 4 folder but when launching Dorico 4 in native mode, the three files you delete that regenerate after relaunch do not regenerate. They do only when I relaunch again in Rosetta mode.

It’s a little hard to explain but long story short, In Rosetta mode, Dorico 4 seems to work well at first glance. But in Native mode, some VSTs that are native don’t even show up and the usual ways to make them show up don’t work.

Any idea ??

That what you describe is consistent because Dorico4 on native M1 does not support VST2 plug-ins anymore.
So despite the fact that some plug-in vendors might adapt their VST2 plug-ins to Apple Silicon, they won’t work in Dorico4 on native M1.
This is a strategic decision by Steinberg, because we want to make pressure on plug-in vendors to abandon VST2 and support the more powerful VST3 standard.

Hello Ulf !

Thanks again for your involvement in the community :slight_smile:

That make sense. I just reached out to UVI to see if they have a timeline of some sort. In the meantime, I made a little research. I can see that the midi implementation on VST3 especially midi cc seems to be a problem for developpement and the instruments become more ressources hungry because of some transition layer that I don’t exactly understand.

Is there a real day to day advantage of having an only VST3 workflow ? Is the potential for snappiness of the software higher ? (Even if it asks for more power ?) Does it crashes less ? Is it more responsive ? Can it manage more complexe data at the same time ? Does it support multicore better ? Do the patches load faster ?

I think I’m trying to find the real reason behind this decision.

What I understand about this whole VST2/3 thing is that the last standard is already over 10 years old, can provide much more control over some parameters (as microtuning), is much more lear about where should the components be installed, but the industry as a whole has been extremely lazy (to say the least) to update their products into vst3…
If you never use microtuning nor any other advantages (there must be some), you won’t find any benefit. But if you do use those, then there’s no question about that.

Sorry @paq_phil , I’m not going to jump into the ring. You need to ask the vendors why they don’t adapt to VST3, not the inventors :wink:

Hello Marc !

Yes I saw that. but I also saw that vst 2.4 if I’m not mistaken was updated with the features of VST 3. Also, microtones are present in some library that I use that are vst2 but not all. If you refer to always having micro tones available regardless of the library, well this could be massive.

I’m sorry if my inquirie seemed too pushy. What I wanted to achieve with that (with my limited english capabilities) is just understanding why Steinberg would choose to discontinue support for vst2. If there are advantages, which are they ? I listed some of my guesses in my last response but I can’t seem to find a real answer on the internet.

Well, for the same reason that also every other company discontinues support for older versions.

Maintaining separate code for VST2 and for VST3 to do the same thing is more work and more time.

The whole point of developing new standards and features is so that everyone migrates to them, rather than ignoring them and using the old stuff.

1 Like

@Ulf I get the reasoning behind discontinuing VST2 and earlier, but what’s the reason behind enabling AU only for iPad build and not the Mac build? It’s infuriating to see such features come only to mobile version while the desktop too is more than capable of doing so.

Welcome to the forum, @pianistemre2. We cannot support VST plug-ins on iPadOS because it’s not possible to run VST plug-ins in the same way on that platform. We would like to bring the functionality of HALion to the iPad in future, but if we do, it’s not clear whether we would do that by effectively privately hosting a VST plug-in within our apps, or making an AUv3 version of HALion.

But on the desktop things are different: all Steinberg’s host applications only support VST plug-ins, because that’s our own format.