Dorico 5 AirPods Pro Max

Loving Dorico 5, but it has broken wireless sound output to my AirPods Pro Max. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Are you using an aggregate device to use your air pods pro?

I recently had someone with the same problem in Dorico 4. We could not find out yet why that happens, but a workaround was to create under the Audio MIDI Setup utility a new aggregate device in which you only let the AirPods output ports participate (an not the built-in microphone). That aggregate device then also will appear in Dorico under Edit > Device Setup in the list of ASIO drivers. With that it does work.

5 Likes

Hi,
I don’t hear any audio in my AirPods Pro when I play a Project in Dorico 5 using my AirPods…
I restarted my Mac but to no avail…
I opened the same project in Dorico 4 and can receive an audio signal, so there must be some bug with Dorico 5 and AirPods.
Can anybody else confirm this?

With dorico 4 at least in my situation you have to connect AirPods first (make sure dorico is not running) then open dorico…
This is not working in dorico 5 but I will try your solution thanks

I have this problem with lots of applications not liking AirPods on my Mac, and so I have a virtual audio driver called “AirPods proxy” that I use for this purpose.

1 Like

Thanks It worked like a charm.

Yes, that exactly what I’m experiencing.

Hi @Martin_Taylor , does the workaround with the aggregated device work with you?

Just tried it…Yes it does. Thank you for the help.

That is what I have always been using with my airpods pro 2 and it works beautifully.

Remember to close all other audio related apps except Dorico, which is the final solution after I tried @Ulf 's workaround.

+1 to this. Worked fine for me until upgrading. Now it doesn’t work.

Hi @bridghammusic , what does not work for you, the workaround with the aggregated device?

No, just outright using AirPods. Before, I was able to connect to my AirPods in preferences. Now, I do the same thing, and no sound. I haven’t tried the workaround, but it seems like it should just work. Why not fix this issue soon?

Hi @bridghammusic , because it is not as easy as it seems. It does not happen to everyone. For example I tried with the AirPod Pros from my daughter and they worked immediately, without the workaround. So there must be also a hardware dependent part somewhere.

1 Like

Hi @Ulf , I didn’t know the hardware could be the culprit. I assumed that because it worked before and stopped working only after updating the software, the culprit was ultimately the software, as the hardware had not changed. Still seems strange to me that the hardware can be the problem when the software is built around the hardware and not the other way around, but I concede that I don’t remotely understand the work you guys do. (I wonder if this is only an issue with AirPods?) Of course, all I care about is that my workflow is undisturbed. Paying for a product that isn’t fully functional can be frustrating. This isn’t me complaining, just my line of thinking. I hope you guys figure it out soon! It is difficult for me to work in bed while my spouse sleeps without the use of my AirPods. (I suppose I could order some wired headphones, but that isn’t much of a solution to the bigger issue, only a temporary fix to my issue.) If you find the time, I would greatly appreciate any info (recommended youtube video or blog post) you may suggest to educate me on the relationship between hardware and software, in regard to situations like this. Nevertheless, thanks for the response!

Hi @bridghammusic , the problem we have not only with AirPods but also with the new Apple Studio Displays.
So you have not tried the workaround with the aggregate device, right?
It is not so difficult, please try following:

• In your Applications folder is a Utilities subfolder and in there is Audio MIDI Setup.app utility.
  • In the left bottom corner of the Audio Devices window is a little plus sign. Click on that and choose Create Aggregate Device.
  • Though it is called aggregate device, you just should make sure that only the headphone of your AirPods are selected and nothing else of the in- or outputs.
  • Optionally rename the new aggregated device to whatever you like.
  • Start Dorico and go to Edit > Device Setup; your new aggregate device shall appear in the list of ASIO drivers and be selectable.
  • Do select that device and close the Device Setup dialog. Now Dorico should play out via your AirPods.

Please let me know how you get along with this recipe.
Cheers,
Ulf

Hi @bridghammusic and every owner of AirPods,

right now we found out what causes your AirPods not to work in Dorico.
The reason is just a single character that confuses our system.

When your AirPods turn up with a name similar to e.g. Alexander’s AirPods Pro , then it is the apostrophe character that messes things up. If you rename the device to Alexanders AirPods Pro it does work, you can hear sound in your AirPods from Dorico.

Now, quite obvious this is a bug in our component which mediates between Apple’s Core Audio and our ASIO system. Now that we found the root course to all the trouble, it should be easy to fix.

And how do you rename the AirPods? Go to the Audio MIDI Setup.app (Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app), double click the name and you can type a new one in.

7 Likes

Brilliant.

Jesper