Dorico 5 Most Wanted

Quartertones support with midi-keyboard input
In an old thread @Chikitin wrote how to do it, and @dspreadbury promised to insert that into the program, but nothing occurred in dorico 4.

With all due respect, Daniel was making a joke because someone posted some code that they assumed would just work. Daniel did not promise it would be included in D4 (or any version, for that matter).

1 Like

I can’t wait until Dorico Pro 6 is out. In the meantime I’m quite happy with everything Dorico Pro 4 provides me…

I don’t see any contradiction there. The Dorico team has a well-earned reputation for listening to needs and finding ways to enhance the product in ways that meet not just the narrowly stated need, but serve a broader set of function. And importantly, they have been able to maintain architectural clarity such that they rarely have to backtrack on a feature added in release w.x that later conflicted with a direction they wanted to take in release y.z. That is not easy at all, and certainly cannot be accomplished by making snap judgments.

To the extent that people suggest specific implementations, the team definitely is not “democratic”, and we are all better off for that, IMHO.

14 Likes

Totally off topic. The replier even doesn’t know that there is no generic print dialog at the bottom left in the windows version of dorico.

I didn’t ask any question: I know that the print function in the windows version of dorico doesn’t work on RTL languages, so I wrote a request for the next version of dorico, so it’s the right place and that’s my right.
It’s not an issue for hebrew but for all RTL languages. I, for exemple, use three RTL languages: arabic, hebrew and yiddish. And there are many others.
Users in this forum ask for a program version in their language and user manuals in their language, I don’t ask for it and I get along with the english version, but I deserve to be able to print easily in the languages I use.
I think my request was understood , so I won’t write anymore about it in this thread, and I hope it will be fixed in the next version.

2 Likes

This thread is entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe we should just post feature suggestions (after doing a thorough search) as new topics rather than within one topic?

5 Likes

Why not post a request for Dorico 4.1? :wink:

1 Like

Agreed. I tried recently but had the discussion removed.

Now the thread has calmed down a bit - there is one feature I would really love. If we could identify two passages as aliases of each other, and then have changes in one reflected in the other it would be a time saver, and error saver too. Even better if we could indicate that one alias was transposed relative to the other, and have the changes reflect that.

It would also be a fabulous tool for trying out compositional ideas.

7 Likes

I love that idea - automatic doubling!

Depending on how you’re set up tonally you could specify “up a third in the scale” and “down a fourth” in the scale and have automatic consecutive chords

I’ve been dreaming of just such a feature for years. I’d say such a feature would make me switch from Finale, but I already did that years ago :laughing:

1 Like

One feature I’d love to see in Dorico 5 is the ability for my NI Komplete Kontrol kbd to control playback etc, like it does in Cubase.

Finale does have a “Mirror Tool”, that is supposedly capable of creating ‘live’ duplicates of passages, though I believe it’s not always been reliable.

That is my understanding as well, or I suppose I should say was my understanding; the feature was removed in v25. I didn’t ever use it when I was on Finale, but from what I’ve read, it was more geared towards the low processing power of computers back in the day, not necessarily as a compositional tool.

I imagine something almost like the cue tool, but where you could grab measures from anywhere and stretch out a passage as short or long as you want. Beyond that, I’d see transposing them any which way you please AND being able to override any individual notes in the passage (e.g. for tonal answers in fugues) that then become unlinked from the original melodic material, but that could still be transposed with the whole passage.

The cherry on top would be being able to subsequently use this modified passage as its own source passage for a new linked passage. Same rules would apply, so a change to the original original may produce a change at the end of the chain (if that portion was still linked) or it might not (if that portion had been unlinked), but until something was unlinked at the end of the chain, any change in the middle of the chain would produce a change in the end, etc etc etc.

1 Like

Hey - I don’t know what specifically you can do in Cubase, but if you go to Preferences → Key commands and search for “play” there are numerous functions you can map to MIDI input - just click the piano symbol, the midi button and “add MIDI command” - This way I can control playback with my Arturia Keylab for e.g.

2 Likes

That’s really helpful Ed, thank you very much. I’ll give it a go.

I must admit I hadn’t looked at the key commands MIDI possibilities.

1 Like

Ugh, cursèd slow mode. Normally I’d merely edit this for so insignificant a correction/clarification (especially on pipe dream material), but slow mode doesn’t allow editing of posts. Anyways, I should’ve said “transposing or tranforming (retrograde, inversion, augmentation, etc.).” That goes for both times I mentioned transposition.

Carry on :slight_smile:

So as not to create a separate thread I have added here this request which does not fall into the category “Most Wanted.” It is not a lofty one, but a request nonetheless.

I appreciate the functionality that Dorico provides for repeats and repeat playback. It would be most useful to me if, while playing them back, we could see the count of which repeat number is currently playing.

For most music there are but a few repeats at most, but for the playback of hymns or such where the repeat count can get up to six or more (on account of multiple verses), one can easily lose track of the count.

Thanks for your consideration.

7 Likes

It would be nice to have a text style able to keep its possition at the end of a multi-bar rest passage. I’m currently using a repeat text style with suppressed playback and custom text.

Text at the end of a multi-bar rest passage.dorico (500.2 KB)

Can our custom playback templates and layouts be accessible from every project instead of just the one project we created the playback template in? Without having to export and import, etc. To me it’s a most wanted. I can’t think of anything else right now.