Dorico 5 mouse editing

mouse editing is great, a big step, thank you
other features I’d like:

• it seems impossible to drag notes from a piano staff to the other one, it would be useful,
  • for all left-handed users, on windows it would be comfortable to use AltGr or another key on the right side instead of Alt
  • use mouse to change from natural to #/b
    thanks again!
1 Like

You should be able to drag from one staff of the piano to the other by moving a little way horizontally so that Dorico knows you want to do a rhythmic drag rather than a pitch drag, then move to the other staff.

Congratulations on Dorico 5! Another big step forward! I am very happy with the new version!
Mouse editing is my favorite new feature in Dorico 5! The lack of this feature was one of the last reasons why I still often do compositional sketches with Logic.
But I hope that the function will be further developed. Important for me is:

• Chromatic dragging (perhaps with a modifier key): i.e. shifting to all other 11 pitches and keeping the original intervals
  • Diatonic dragging with acceptance of chromatic steps
    Examples:
    Now (in c major) e, f, f#, g dragged to f results in f, g, g, a.
    chromatic dragging would result in f, g flat, g, a flat
    Diatonic dragging with acceptance of chromatic steps would result in f, g, g#, a

Further wishes:

• Horizontal and vertical dragging at the same time (simple and easy to control in Logic!)
  • At low zoom it is difficult to see how far you have moved the notes vertically or horizontally. A small pop-up window indicating the interval or note value that has been moved would be very helpful.
1 Like

it works! thank you

please consider left-handed :grinning:

When the fragment would be moved to D, what would you then expect—D, E, E#, F? Too many edge cases to consider.

The existing key commands for all the things you’ve asked for are much faster than mousing.

3 Likes

It’s not just about speed (but I think mousing is just as fast). It’s about automating workflows.
I can’t think compositionally and use key commands at the same time.
Maybe it’s the result of 30 years of Notator and Logic, maybe it’s the nature of my brain. Or both.
I am not the only one. I know quite a few colleagues who are still composing on the basis of mousing (often with Logic) and who later copy their composition with Dorico, Finale or Sibelius.

So what do you want to do? Drag a mouse selection around aimlessly until something sounds OK? Each to their own.

I use both mouse and keyboard compositionally (rarely using MIDI keyboard input) and I’ve never felt the need to drag stuff around with a mouse, nor missed that capability, having transitioned from Sibelius.

I would commend to you just two commands that I use most frequently: alt-click (to copy stuff multiple times from A to B, C, D etc.) and shift-I T to transpose.

Procedurally it is hard to beat the power of lock duration to re-pitch. How would you do that with a mouse?

Others will no doubt have their own favourites.

As an aside. I was listening to the radio the other day, and struck by how anodyne and predictable one modern track was, when juxtaposed against a baroque piece, with which I was unfamiliar. Both styles are to some extent formulaic, but the latter still had the capacity to surprise and delight, and was doubtless created without the assistance of rodents!

1 Like