Dorico 5 will not load (MacOS) - invalid QML element type?

Where are you seeing these errors, Daniele? You don’t need to try to run Dorico 4 in the same way as Dorico 5 from the Terminal: simply running it by double-clicking in the Applications folder should be sufficient.

Hi Daniel -

so I ran the earlier command prompt followed by this one. Dorico 5 attempted to open (without my needing to double click) but crashed similarly to before.

What might my next steps be?

Thank you for your help!

I’m afraid that without my learned colleagues to lean on, for the time being I’m out of ideas. We’ll have to wait for the other side of the weekend, I’m afraid.

Something to look forward to!

Hi @danieledevirgilio , please try again running Dorico 5 from a Terminal window with that special command. But this time copy the string from this posting. In your last attempt the quote characters got mangled up, that is why it failed with you.

1 Like

please try again running Dorico 5 from a Terminal window with that special command. But this time copy the string from this posting .

This worked for me. I’m in! I’ll let you know if I have more crashes.

1 Like

Hi @Ulf,

Thanks for your reply. I tried with the string you mentioned from the other posting and it still freezes, here’s my output:

danieledevirgilio@macbook ~ % env QSG_RHI_BACKEND=”opengl” /Applications/Dorico\ 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 5
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationType"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "PlayModeInstrumentCharacter"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "PlayModeViewDuration"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "GridResolution"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "NoteDragPosition"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "ActiveRegion"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MouseMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "DragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationTransformDragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "HistogramDragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationTransformTarget"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MixerChannelType"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MouseCursorShape"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "VelocityEditorToolScope"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
Unknown key "”opengl”" for QSG_RHI_BACKEND, falling back to default backend.
qml: stop spinner
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Steinberg::Steam::ScriptConsole "ScriptConsole", which already has a layout
zsh: terminated  env QSG_RHI_BACKEND=”opengl” 

After this it freezes and I have to manually quit the terminal and kill Dorico.

Thank you,
Daniele

Hi @danieledevirgilio, it is the same thing again. Have a look at your screenshot, the first line : the quotes around opengl are not straight. Compare to the quotes in the second line, they go straight down, that’s how the others also need to look like.

Hi @Ulf, thank you.
You’re correct, but it still freezes even with the correct quotes, here’s my output.

Last login: Sat May 27 16:38:58 on ttys000
danieledevirgilio@macbook ~ % env QSG_RHI_BACKEND="opengl" /Applications/Dorico\ 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 5
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationType"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "PlayModeInstrumentCharacter"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "PlayModeViewDuration"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "GridResolution"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "NoteDragPosition"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "ActiveRegion"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MouseMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "DragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationTransformDragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "HistogramDragMode"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "AutomationTransformTarget"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MixerChannelType"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "MouseCursorShape"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qt.qml.typeregistration: Invalid QML element name "VelocityEditorToolScope"; value type names should begin with a lowercase letter
qml: stop spinner
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Steinberg::Steam::ScriptConsole "ScriptConsole", which already has a layout

Thanks,
d.

Oh, that is very unfortunate and I also don’t really know…
Does a crash file get created then? Please have a look at the Console. app

Hi @Ulf, I started sampling on Console.app, launched Dorico 5, waited for it to freeze and quitted. Filtered the results of Console with the “Dorico” keyword and exported a txt. Let me know if this helps.

Dorico.rtf.zip (5.5 KB)

Thanks a lot for the data. Actually, one of our Dorico experts needs to have a look next week, so a little patience please. Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

I am having the same problem… Dorico 5 opens, gets to the “Waiting for Audio Engine” and then crashes. Here is my diagnostic report…
Dorico5DiagnosticsReport.zip (638.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi @RichardHG , no, you have a different problem, your’s is same to the one as in this thread.
So please read in that other thread and follow the given advice, and especially be careful with the quotes in the Terminal window, so do read the whole thread. If you are unsure or have questions simply come back here.

Using the terminal commands worked. Thanks for the warning about the quotation marks. In future, do I need to start Dorico using those 2 commands (setting software render = 1 and the opengl commands)?

Thanks for your speedy reply.

For the moment, yes, but it is just a temporary workaround. We will try to find a proper solution to this, but give us a little time to do so.

1 Like

OK. I’ve saved the commands for easy access.

Thanks again for your help.

2 Likes

Hi @Ulf, any news?

Thanks
d.

It’s been a holiday weekend here in Europe, so there haven’t been any working days since your last post two days ago, and indeed the engineer who will be taking the lead on this is currently enjoying some holiday time with his family. So there won’t be any new updates for the next few days at least. Thanks for your patience.

Good mornafternoon, Daniel

Quick update: I installed the Dorico 5 update (5.0.10), but my launch problem is not fixed. Same Terminal window messages as before.

I’m able to open from the terminal prompt as before. Hopefully a more permanent solution is forthcoming… but thankfully I’m planning to upgrade my MacBook this summer.

env QSG_RHI_BACKEND=“opengl” /Applications/Dorico\ 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Dorico\ 5