Dorico and Eastwest Word Builder - problem?

I mean, yes please…

And yes, I’m sure that would be incredibly complex. Someday…

1 Like

Actually, in the end not that complex, because we have already a transport mechanism. With Note Expression it is already possible to convey text and phonemes to the plug-ins. There are just two hurdles.

1. The text as such is nearly useless, because what the plug-ins need are the phonemes. Because for example how should the plug-in distinguish between ‘read’ in present and past tense? Therefore we would need in Dorico the capability to enter along side with the text also the phonemes.
  2. The corresponding singer plug-ins need to implement the feature accordingly.

So in the end not overly complex but still quite a bit of work to be done.

3 Likes

Ulf, would such a text-to-phenome database be the sort of thing that could be somewhat “user-sourced” eventually? Similar to how users create their own expression maps for VSTs?

Could be, yes. The whole thing could become like a spellchecker add-on with different databases for different languages.

Well, when that happens, sign me up to help!

1 Like

Thank you so much, Ulf! - This is fantastic news.

A scenario where one could type words into Dorico and have a plug-in sing them back is maybe closer than I imagined, then. This would be quite incredible.

2 Likes

This would be great if it happened, but one should look at VOCALOID (from Yamaha) to see some of the challenges. For example, in their “English” singer, some phonemes are not what they should be when translated from English text. Their long u sound (oo) sounds much more Japanese (farther forward in the mouth) than an English or American speaker would pronounce it, and one must then resort to typing the closest phoneme in directly.

Now that you mention it, it was exactly for Vocaloid that we introduced text/phonemes into Note Expression.
And sure, not everything is smooth, yet, still needs development on all ends.

4 Likes

just now, i tried opening the file and changed the playback with HOOPUS, baam … crashed … i am on Mojave btw

Hi @odhot , sorry to hear that. Most likely it is Opus that is crashing, so nothing that we could do about. But please do Help > Create Diagnostics Report from within Dorico. That creates a zip file on your desktop containing among other stuff also crash dump files. From those I can find the culprit of a crash.
And also note, my fix is not public, yet. Only from Dorico 4 onward Wordbuilder will sing properly in Dorico.

2 Likes

On it sir, will do it tomorrow…it’s 1 Am here lol … thank you Mr Ulf!

lol, everyone’s after the next thing already :slight_smile:
but another hand of applause from this quarter

The “sound of one hand clapping”? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

one thigh slapped?

1 Like

This is fantastic news! I tried for year(s) to get EastWest choirs to work in Dorico, and was having problems not only with wordbuilder, but with notes hanging. I finally paused my EW subscription when I got a deal on another choir… but it’s not as good and they stopped support right after selling it off cheap.

Knowing that I might be able to get EW choir working in Dorico 4 gives me hope for 2022 like nothing else can!

2 Likes

the notes hanging was surely caused by using Play 6 instead of 5? Play 5 currently works fine in Dorico. If you’re referring to the Hollywood Choirs, then of course they don’t work with Play 5 anyway and I think this will be the big improvement for Dorico 4 that it’s been successfully tested with Play 6.

Interesting - what is it that causes Play 6 to hang in Dorico? It was happening in Logic too at times!

Yes, I meant Hollywood Choirs - couldn’t remember the name. Thanks!

Play 6 uses a different method for signalling “note off” than Play 5. From what I understand, Dorico requires to send additional information to Wordbuilder which was missing to allow it to progress to the next syllable . Most DAW’s have dealt with this correctly (though perhaps not always Logic?) and Ulf has identified and fixed the issue in Dorico for the next release.

Hello, I contacted EW about SC, and I mentioned that it has problems with Dorico - it is even specified on their website. However, Dorico may be able to overcome these problems. Their reply included the following :

"up until now, Dorico has not been compatible/supported with Wordbuilder, and there have been a number of reported issues among Dorico users with this feature, where the playback on Legatos and legato repeated notes have caused problems among other compatibility concerns. … "

… Hopefully, the Dorico 4 update is able to address these compatibility concerns from Steinberg’s end"

Is this being careful about future possibilities, or should I wait for the Dorico announcment about Dorico 4 ?

If you read up the thread, you’ll see that Ulf has fixed the bug, and it will be in Dorico 4.
"

2 Likes